Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Earlier this week, Sony released a new patch for the PlayStation 4, and if you've downloaded it, here's my advice: be very, very careful.

See, the PS4's v2.00 patch, which adds features like SharePlay and a new app for YouTube, also brings with it some major technical issues. In addition to a host of random problems reported by a sprinkling of PS4 owners across the web—volume fluctuations, inconsistent connectivity, etc.—there's one issue that seems to be affecting a whole lot of people: Rest Mode doesn't work right.

Last night, I put my PS4 in Rest Mode, and when I woke up this morning, the console wouldn't turn on—I had to manually reset it, potentially risking damaging the system and its files. Same thing seems to be happening to a lot of other people, too.

A few of us here at Kotaku have had firsthand experience with this Rest Mode problem, and scans through Twitter and Reddit reveal that it's a widespread issue. Some Redditors have suggested potential ways to fix it, but none of them seem to be foolproof.

When I reached out to Sony yesterday, they said they're looking into these issues, but there's no word on an ETA for a fix. For now, I recommend just turning your PS4 off entirely when you're done with it. Better to be safe than sorry (and bricked).
source

this is why I never want to upgrade right away.

Playstation and Xbox always seem to glitch when first gens are released. RROD , YLOD. Now this. You would think they would have the funds to hire some 24 hour testers.

This is a disapointing. Sony, and MS makes so much money from its consoles, but don't really seem to test updates, and fix problems before releasing them, so fewer gamers are affected by these problems.

I think the RROD, YLOD, and hardware and operating systemsoftware failures are reasons that PC Gaming is so popular these days since at least it is simpler to do a system restore in Windows, fix Windows, reinstall Windows, fix a broken PC, or just buy a new PC, and transfer your save files to the new PC when it is time to buy a new PC when your old one breaks, or is too slow.

Saint Francis said:
Playstation and Xbox always seem to glitch when first gens are released. RROD , YLOD. Now this. You would think they would have the funds to hire some 24 hour testers.
I'm sure they do have a lot of testers, but the code to manage something like modern day consoles is big enough to make a full mansion out of.

Oh that's great news, lol. I haven't played my PS4 in some time - so it's nice to know when I have to update it to turn rest mode off. :p Yeah all consoles are going to have these issues, doesn't matter how much testing they do for it either - it doesn't prepare them to fix every single possible problem unfortuantely. 

Did you know 57% of Xbox Gen 1's had the RROD and 32% of Ps3s ended up getting YLOD. If you ask me, those are big numbers.

Saint Francis said:
Did you know 57% of Xbox Gen 1's had the RROD and 32% of Ps3s ended up getting YLOD. If you ask me, those are big numbers.
I agree those numbers are pretty big numbers. I think the main cause for this number is that MS, and Sony decided to use cheaper lower quality parts, use Chinese factories where workers are overworked and badly paid, and find other ways to save money because they want to earn more money, and feel they can't earn more money by using better parts, or raising the price a little because they sell a better quality console.

I think most consoles use the same parts, operating system, and apps, so the many people who tests these updates probably got these same errors if they test the console with new firmware for a few hours for many days, so they could of not release the firmware update until the testers stop getting these errors.

Rest mode is basically stand-by mode right? The one that resumes your game right where you left off? That sounded like a great feature when they talked about it, too bad it doesn't work.

ManEaterBug said:
Rest mode is basically stand-by mode right? The one that resumes your game right where you left off? That sounded like a great feature when they talked about it, too bad it doesn't work.
It could also mean hibernate mode like on PC which has sleep/stand-by, and hibernate. I think it is a convenient feature, but it is best to save your game, and turn off your console to avoid losing your saves and game data, or damaging the PS4's data if there is a sudden power outage.

Back