Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

Today, Dragon Quest XII was announced during a Square Enix live stream.

In the teaser, the “XII” logo was in fire with a voice saying in Japanese, “Why do people live?” The game’s full title is Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate.

Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii explains that the game will have choices for the players so that their characters can decide how to live. The command battle system will change in the upcoming entry (but commands won’t be removed per se), but the system apparently won’t be changed in a way that’s uncomfortable to DQ players.

Horii would not say when the game is slated for release but added that it will launch simultaneously worldwide. Horii also would not disclose the hardware.

Hopefully it will be good.

I think I'll get this. Dragon Quest 11 won me over... well besides like a giant spoiler for the ending I won't say here, but it was still a great game as long as they don't pull that again.

This looks really cool. When will it be out?

see the trailer :p

Nice, Enix is pretty consistent with Dragon Quest. There hasn’t been a bad one yet.

Looks like they will be switching it up for the next one, might be good or bad, since I know DQ is Japan's love child.

Looks like they will be switching it up for the next one, might be good or bad, since I know DQ is Japan's love child.
It’s probably nothing too crazy. Final Fantasy X and a lot of the PS1 RPG’s had fancy names for their battle system, but at the end of the day it was still turn based.

Yuji Hori’s been the mastermind between every single game, so it won’t be like FF where there’s been drastic changes between the different entries.

It’s probably nothing too crazy. Final Fantasy X and a lot of the PS1 RPG’s had fancy names for their battle system, but at the end of the day it was still turn based.

Yuji Hori’s been the mastermind between every single game, so it won’t be like FF where there’s been drastic changes between the different entries.

I'm sure it won't be huge, though I would like something a bit more active. I just know someone will be hanged if the populace comes to hate the next major DQ.

I'm sure it won't be huge, though I would like something a bit more active. I just know someone will be hanged if the populace comes to hate the next major DQ.
Yuji Horii directed all of their games, so I doubt there’s any worries.

Also if you’re wanting a more active battle system, you’re obviously looking at the wrong franchise.

Read more stuff:

According to Dragon Quest game designer Yuji Horii, Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate will feature dark, mature content, and force players to make various decisions to determine their way of life. The series’ traditional command battles will also be revamped, but fans of the series should still be able to enjoy it without discomfort.

Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate will run on Unreal Engine 5 and is directed by Takeshi Uchikawa. Square Enix is currently hiring staff to work on the game. According to Horii, “While the story is complete and only needs to be implemented, this is a big game, so there is still some time to go before completion.”

I did like FF 10's, shame they didn't use it for 12.
I think it’s because people complained about it still being turn based at that point.

That was a weird time period where turn based combat and random encounters were seen as “too archaic” by the general gaming populace, which is ironic how now people love that setup with sprite based graphics.

I think it’s because people complained about it still being turn based at that point.

That was a weird time period where turn based combat and random encounters were seen as “too archaic” by the general gaming populace, which is ironic how now people love that setup with sprite based graphics.

Random encounters should be a thing of the past if anything.

they were fine back in the day, but who has time for that anymore? :p
You're talking about a genre that takes a minimum of 40 hours to beat. Even without random encounters.

You also said in that other DQ thread “I yearn for the JRPG’s of old”. So that’s a very can’t have your cake and eat it too situation.

You're talking about a genre that takes a minimum of 40 hours to beat. Even without random encounters.

You also said in that other DQ thread “I yearn for the JRPG’s of old”. So that’s a very can’t have your cake and eat it too situation.

I can if I use cheat codes to skip the grinding :p

Back