Other EA Embraces AI, Says 60% of Its Game Development Could Be Impacted

cpvr

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Is AI taking jobs from video game developers? At Electronic Arts, it's possible, considering its CEO Andrew Wilson said Wednesday that about 60% of the game publisher's "development processes" could be affected by generative AI tools.

Wilson made this proclamation one week after EA laid off 5% of its staff, or about 670 jobs. It also laid off about 800 employees, or 6% of its staff at the time, in March 2023.

Wilson emphasized that these generative AI impacts will be positive, though it's unclear whether the tools will aid developers or just boost the company's bottom line, allowing it to ship more games faster. Wilson said generative AI is something EA is "embracing deeply," and could make the company 30% more efficient than it is now.

"We're in the era of generative AI, which is the most exciting yet by a fairly wide margin and something that we're embracing deeply. We think about it in three core vectors: efficiency, expansion, and transformation," Wilson said at Morgan Stanley's Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference, as reported by TechRaptor.

EA's CEO claimed the publisher's game developers are already accepting and adopting generative AI tools in their work. "We see a real embrace happening inside of our company around these things that can help them get to greatness much more quickly," Wilson said.

Source: EA Embraces AI, Says 60% of Its Game Development Could Be Impacted

I hope this ends them lol.

I feel it is too soon to be talking about replacing most workers with AI because AI may still have software problems which need to be fixed before AI is fully ready for making triple A games.

I think EA using AI too much may cause fewer game buyers to know about their new games because EA would have fewer workers which want to casually talk about EA games if EA fired most of its workforce.

Many EA workers most likely post about new EA games they are working on, and tell their friends and family about which EA games are fun. If EA have fewer game workers, EA will have fewer workers, and workers family member who casually post about EA and EA games on sites like LinkedIn, X, Instagram, blogs and forums on their free time.

Some game buyers may less likely buy and recommend EA's AI games if the person has concerns about AI generated content for different reasons like environmental concerns of AI needing to use a lot of electricity to run AI's large network of supercomputers and servers, AI piracy issues of AI stealing artists' artwork, and not wanting to play games which AI stole or copied people's artwork, voice, face, and story line and characters from movies and novels.

Last edited:
AI is useful, but when the leaks start to show, they can only help at the level you prompt them with.

I rather play games made by talented human game workers like the workers who worked on Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy games because I enjoyed playing their previous games, so I want to see what workers added to their new games, and what the story line is like. I'm not sure if AI written game story line will be as good as stories written by talented writers.

Last edited:
Back