Ever had to cancel your vacation?

While we don't take vacations anymore, we haven't had to cancel them due to a boss or work. We may have had to reschedule due to our own lives but that was it. Our vacations were pretty flexible especially when we stayed with family.
It's definitely going to be very easy to adjust your vacation plans if it's a flexible one.

Rushing into challenges to prove yourself ain't bad too. It shows that you are doing a great job.
Perhaps but... You kinda overwork with the minimum pay for years. That's not good in the long run.
Well, I managed to get 150% hike thanks to this... So I am not going to complain about it all that much... xD

I would not make up an excuse... if it involves 'overtime', I'm definitely turning down vacation. It has happened before. I had a trip planned, purchased the plane ticket, I was going to do so many things in Hawaii (especially eat good food). Unfortunately, I was offered a job with better pay, it was a smooth transition from one job to another, only 2 days apart. What an experience. However, I did end up going on vacation, but only after my probationary period of 2 years... so I had to wait that long to take a vacation... ended up going to Delaware (its what was affordable). Rented a car & explored surrounding states, 'city-scaping' as I would like to call it. haha

I would not make up an excuse... if it involves 'overtime', I'm definitely turning down vacation. It has happened before. I had a trip planned, purchased the plane ticket, I was going to do so many things in Hawaii (especially eat good food). Unfortunately, I was offered a job with better pay, it was a smooth transition from one job to another, only 2 days apart. What an experience. However, I did end up going on vacation, but only after my probationary period of 2 years... so I had to wait that long to take a vacation... ended up going to Delaware (its what was affordable). Rented a car & explored surrounding states, 'city-scaping' as I would like to call it. haha
Most people wouldn't turn down a chance to make more money easily. It's indeed quite understandable in your case.

Perhaps but... You kinda overwork with the minimum pay for years. That's not good in the long run.
Well, I managed to get 150% hike thanks to this... So I am not going to complain about it all that much... xD

If there is a pay rise for the work that you do, then that is great. It makes a lot of things better in the long-term.

If there is a pay rise for the work that you do, then that is great. It makes a lot of things better in the long-term.
True but somehow people don't get the hike unless they switch the job... Especially in the software world.
I just don't get the reason though

True but somehow people don't get the hike unless they switch the job... Especially in the software world.
I just don't get the reason though

A lot of people in the tech industry need to document their progress and use it to get a pay rise when switching jobs.

Most people wouldn't turn down a chance to make more money easily. It's indeed quite understandable in your case.
Yeah I suppose. It was worth the wait for me to postpone vacation plans. However, this year only consists of going to a friend's wedding in another state. Wouldn't count that as vacation.... ? I'm not sure. haha

A lot of people in the tech industry need to document their progress and use it to get a pay rise when switching jobs.
True but the companies are willing to pay a higher wage to new experienced hires rather than retaining the employees.
If that is the case, it's totally normal for people to switch companies as well (_ _)/
I stayed for about 4.9 years in my first company and I got 150% hike after I switched the job. So imagine just low the pay was

Yeah I suppose. It was worth the wait for me to postpone vacation plans. However, this year only consists of going to a friend's wedding in another state. Wouldn't count that as vacation.... ? I'm not sure. haha
Naah, it's not a vacation unless your friend have a big plan of hosting you guys big after the wedding.

Naah, it's not a vacation unless your friend have a big plan of hosting you guys big after the wedding.
yeah I was about to say... well, I guess no actual 'vacation' for me this year. haha

You will get another one next year haha. As long as one's alive, we get another chance.
Sure hope so.

Last actual vacation was when I went to California to see some friends, it was a short 4 days, but I spent time with them, and got to see 'anime expo' for the first time ever. It was a great time

Sure hope so.

Last actual vacation was when I went to California to see some friends, it was a short 4 days, but I spent time with them, and got to see 'anime expo' for the first time ever. It was a great time
A well planned vacation is always enjoyable. It's nice you got to see some of your old pals.

A well planned vacation is always enjoyable. It's nice you got to see some of your old pals.
yeah, I gotta plan some vacation in the coming years. Right now, just trying to get it funded & started. Like you said, 'well planned', Going to make this happen... eventually. haha

If I have finally set my vacation and planned for it, I will never cancel it no matter the circumstances unless it have something to do with death.

I have had a flat tire on the free way when I was about 30 miles away from my home. So I decided that this was a sign that I shouldn't go on vacation and I canceled my vacation.

I have had a flat tire on the free way when I was about 30 miles away from my home. So I decided that this was a sign that I shouldn't go on vacation and I canceled my vacation.
If you're someone who believes in bad omens, that's a very good one to consider. The flat tyre means, stop going.

Back