E3 Exclusive: Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony Won't Be Part of E3 2023

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Username Style

E3's first physical event in four years was supposed to be a triumphant return for the trade show — an opportunity to recapture some of the excitement of past conventions, which historically have been major showcase events for the games industry.

However, it appears that when E3 2023 hits the Los Angeles Convention Center in June, it will be without three of its most important draws. IGN has heard from multiple knowledgeable sources that Xbox, Sony, and Nintendo won't be part of E3 2023 or have a presence on the Los Angeles Convention Center showfloor.

This information comes on the heels of Xbox's announcement last week that it would be returning to Los Angeles for its annual summer showcase while declining to confirm whether it would be part of the show itself.

Speaking with IGN last week, Xbox CEO Phil Spencer said the platform holder is timing its showcase with E3 at a moment "convenient for press and even consumers" at the event, meaning it's likely to roughly align with the event itself. Spencer also stressed Xbox's public support for E3 and the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). However, IGN understands that Xbox won't have a booth on the showfloor.

-Whats the point in even caring about this now if the big 3 wont be there?

Still a rumor people!

That aside, E3 can still happen without the big three, it can give a chance for the smaller folks to step up, if they can afford the convention cost ^^;

There are a lot of people not in the big three-making games out there I'm sure of it. But they would still need enough funding or money in their budget to attend. But they should at least change the name if this is going to occur.

Still a rumor people!

That aside, E3 can still happen without the big three, it can give a chance for the smaller folks to step up, if they can afford the convention cost ^^;

"IGN has heard from multiple knowledgeable sources" That's good enough for me.

E3 had too much indie garbage anyway. Thankfully with this I can skip E3 entirely and just look at the company's individual showcase to see what I want to play. No reason to even worry about whether the games being shown will be for my platform or not because all of Xbox games are for PC too. And sony's games will almost certainly not be as a response to microsoft's acquisition.

Last edited:
"IGN has heard from multiple knowledgeable sources" That's good enough for me.

E3 had too much indie garbage anyway. Thankfully with this I can skip E3 entirely and just look at the company's individual showcase to see what I want to play. No reason to even worry about whether the games being shown will be for my platform or not because all of Xbox games are not for PC too. And sony's games will almost certainly not be as a response to microsoft's acquisition.

Still unconfirmed though.

Start of the end of E3 as we know it? They might need to tweak the format.

And if they end up being wrong?

Then they lose credibility and their job as informants might be over? Why are you so fixated on the negligible change of all 3 of them lying and all converging on the exact same lie?

I wonder if many people being layoffs at companies like Microsoft is one of the reason that Microsoft won't attend E3 to save money and time now that MS have fewer workers.

I imagine most gamers now get their gaming news from blogs, online videos, and forums, so expensive conventions like E3 are not as important for showcasing future game releases.

And if they end up being wrong?

I'm not sure which one stopped going first in person, but it was either Sony or Nintendo that was the first one to stop appearing at the actual convention. Then the other company followed suit. Microsoft was actually the last of the big 3 to be there. It also doesn't help that E3 was cancelled 2 out of the last 4 years, either.

Nintendo skipping E3 2023 confirmed:

“We approach our involvement in any event on a case-by-case basis and are always considering various ways to engage with our fans,” the company said. “Since this year’s E3 show didn’t fit into our plans, we have made the decision to not participate. However, we have been and continue to be a strong supporter of the ESA and E3.”

Back