Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Back in the old days, there were tons of arcade shops full of arcade machines like Centipede and asteroids. But now over 30 years later what do you think has become most of those machines? Well the story isn't pretty:

Many machines were gutted for useful parts such as monitors and coin doors then had their cabinets smashed, burned or taken to a landfill. Others were left to rot in abandoned warehouses, sheds or fields.

This practice actually still continues today. Me and a friend came across an antique store a few years ago that had obtained a few trailers of early eighties machines. Thinking they had no value they left the open trailers outside and smashed up entire machines until they'd filled their dumpsters. By the time we got there, we found pieces of games such as Donkey Kong Junior and Centipede in the trash and the machines still in tact had been rained on so much they were falling apart.

While there are hobbyists who restore classic machines scattered across the country, it is commonplace for them to use several machines to complete one full restoration, trashing the rest.

Those with an interest in just what's become of the arcade games of generations past should definitely check out the full article:
Arcade Classics: What happened to them all?

source

I always did wondered what happened to them. how sad....

You can buy them real cheap online. I remember seeing Pac-Man for $125 on Craigslist a year ago.

If I were to have a game room in my future house, which I plan to, and didn't have to worry about exorbitant LIPA rates, then I would definitely buy a couple. I'd get Pac-Man, Centipede, Arkanoid, Bust-A-Move (the bubble shooter) and Galaga.

Instead, I'll just settle for a modded first-gen xbox and a MAME emulator packed with roms and a big LED tv.

Sent from my SGH-T869 using Tapatalk 2

Back