Favorite Anime Genre?

Toast

Full GL Member
Credits
What's your favorite anime genre and why? I think mine would have to be psychological. It's so thrilling every time. All of my favorite anime have ended up being this genre, or something pretty close to it. I've always been a big fan of stuff that screws with your mind, action, fighting, etc. Even though some of it gets kind of gore-y, I don't mind that at all. I've also always really been a big fan of romance anime. (Kind of the opposite, which makes it a bit funny.) Surprisingly, a lot of the psychological anime also have a romance aspect, and those tend to be a favorite.

Omg, I was going to say the exact same thing, I really love psychological anime (movies, tv shows, almost everything in general,lol) I also really like horror ones, I can't help it. On the other hand, I love romance and school dramas, most of them are really good.
Have you watched Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? Is my favorite one, it's like a salad of genres, it has psychological, horror, school and romance, so good!

Anything but love based animes or really boring slice of life animes.

I like the type of anime with plenty of actions, fantasy, some romance, and tons of funny stuff.
Think about the anime I had spent most of my time on were, Ranama 1/2, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Inu Yasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto. They all have something in common. I just can't watch anything without fighting/action, and if it is too "realistic", it is also boring. Romance and funny stuff are there to provide some relief. :p

Come on, I am actually still following Dragon Ball Super as well as re-watching the DBZ series these days.

Omg, I was going to say the exact same thing, I really love psychological anime (movies, tv shows, almost everything in general,lol) I also really like horror ones, I can't help it. On the other hand, I love romance and school dramas, most of them are really good.
Have you watched Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? Is my favorite one, it's like a salad of genres, it has psychological, horror, school and romance, so good!
Honestly I've seen a lot of it over the years, but I've never committed to watching it. I'm not quite sure why, maybe it's because I already know so much about it? It could also be because it may not fit exactly what I like watching. I've heard a lot about it, and people who watch it seem to like it. I do know it has a lot of torture, and it's sort of a time loop thing. I dunno, maybe I'll still give it a try sometime, but I doubt I will honestly.

I like ample comedy in my anime, so stuff like Gintama really appeal to me. Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and Baka to Test are two other hilarious gems.

I'm really drawn to comedy/slice-of-life anime. Some of them are very cute and that makes me happy, lol. I love the lovey-dovey stuff. On the other hand, I love horror anime (as I like horror in general) and fantasy! Sword Art Online ended up being one of my favorites, and Ouron High School Host Club is another... I can't help it xD

I'm really drawn to comedy/slice-of-life anime. Some of them are very cute and that makes me happy, lol. I love the lovey-dovey stuff. On the other hand, I love horror anime (as I like horror in general) and fantasy! Sword Art Online ended up being one of my favorites, and Ouron High School Host Club is another... I can't help it xD
I like a lot of comedy anime, but slice of life, I don't really know. I feel like slice of life ends up being boring and unoriginal most of the time. I've given quite a few a try, and honestly I think it depends on what other genres are mixed in. I tried watching Non-Non Biyori, and it was really boring for me. I don't remember the exact ones I have liked, but I'm sure there's more than that.
Nice profile picture by the way!!

Sometimes I'm scared that people will laugh me off, but I love comedy and romance anime. I don't know why, but they attract me more than anything else. My favourites are Zero no Tsukaima, Clannad, Ao Haru Ride, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - that's what I watch. I'm looking mostly for animes like these every season. I can agree that some are unoriginal, but you just have to find the good ones.

Sometimes I'm scared that people will laugh me off, but I love comedy and romance anime. I don't know why, but they attract me more than anything else. My favourites are Zero no Tsukaima, Clannad, Ao Haru Ride, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - that's what I watch. I'm looking mostly for animes like these every season. I can agree that some are unoriginal, but you just have to find the good ones.

Zero no Tsukaima is great, with one of the four queens of tsundere. I'd highly recommend Hayate no Gotoku if you enjoyed Zero no Tsukaima. Well, the first two seasons anyway.

Hey! Slice of life is my favorite genre as well. If you guys don't like it, can I recommend some good titles? I'm more of a manga person and I've read these titles as manga, but they all have anime adaptations. Please check out Aria, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Azumanga Daioh! They are all amazing. Let me know what you think. :)

I prefer to watch some mind games, psychological and mystery. I'm not much of a mystery novel reader, I just enjoy watching some anime with mystery solving. Depends on my mood, I enjoy lighthearted ones, like romance and slice-of-life. Fantasy, not much unless it's really good. Mecha? No no. Not big fan. But I watched some :grin:

Futurist, regardless of whether it's sci-fi or dystopia/primitive. I also like animes or movies about revolutions or changing the system (but a lot of shows fall into this definition, from Naruto to Psycho Pass).

I like a lot of comedy anime, but slice of life, I don't really know. I feel like slice of life ends up being boring and unoriginal most of the time. I've given quite a few a try, and honestly I think it depends on what other genres are mixed in. I tried watching Non-Non Biyori, and it was really boring for me. I don't remember the exact ones I have liked, but I'm sure there's more than that.
Nice profile picture by the way!!
Some of them are boring, but I think there are also a lot of really great ones! You're completely right about it depending on what other genres are mixed in Sometimes I just want to watch a "nice" anime every once in a while.

I think the best genre is urban life. I like watching cartoons about modern or future life. I don't like watching anything on T.V. I think anime should be shown with a purpose.

that series never did get finished did it (zero no tsukaima)? And Hayate is good, I need to read the manga more.

Well the MC did end up with one of the girls in the anime (won't spoil it here lol), so I kinda consider that a conclusion. Hayate's first two seasons were great (among my favorite anime shows of all time), but since then it's been downhill in my opinion.

that series never did get finished did it (zero no tsukaima)? And Hayate is good, I need to read the manga more.
The series did never really finish. I mean - the anime is theoretically finished, there is no room for next seasons, but it wasn't planned to be like this. The writer of the light novel died of cancer, so they had to finish it by themselves quickly. It's such a shame, because I would love to see more seasons of this anime.

Zero no Tsukaima is great, with one of the four queens of tsundere. I'd highly recommend Hayate no Gotoku if you enjoyed Zero no Tsukaima. Well, the first two seasons anyway.
Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check it out!

The series did never really finish. I mean - the anime is theoretically finished, there is no room for next seasons, but it wasn't planned to be like this. The writer of the light novel died of cancer, so they had to finish it by themselves quickly. It's such a shame, because I would love to see more seasons of this anime.

Freaking cancer, but I remember that now. Always a shame.

Back