Paid:
  1. XenForo
  2. IPB (IPS)
  3. vBulletin
Free:
  1. phpBB
  2. MyBB
  3. ProBoards
I'd have to agree with you, I really love XenForo as a paid software and phpbb as a free one. MyBB and phpBB are a bit tied for me, because with hard customization and time, MyBB forums can look amazing.

Here is mine:

Paid:
  1. XenForo
  2. IPB
  3. Woltlab Burning Board
Free:
  1. Jcink
  2. any of the BB ending boards.
  3. IF/Zetaboards

Definitely XenForo. IPB is going the wrong way with IPB 4, I just can't get used to Burning Board and vBulletin is pretty much a trainwreck at this point. It's basically the Paper Mario of forum software!

I would say PhpBB is my favorite because my own forum I run has it and it's very customizeable, plus it's the only one I'm familiar with so I'm probably pretty biased xD

Paid:
1. Woltlab
2. XenForo
3. vBulletin

Free:
1. phpBB
2. MyBB
3. ElkArte

I might change my mind about this.

Just XenForo in terms of paid forum software and MyBB from the free options. IPB is not too bad but it feels a bit too bulky, unfortunately. And none of the other free options come close to how good MyBB is

vB is still a thing?
Yeah. It doesn't offer a lot of features and it has a ridiculously steep learning curve, so I'm not a big fan of it, but I had to mention 3 products because that's how other people in the thread did it.

Paid: I'll have to say Xenforo. Although I haven't had it for myself, I have been on Staff where I could see how the ACP works.
Free: Proboards. But it's not really my favorite per se. I'm just used to it. They have been changing things around.

Back