Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Obviously the United States is the most awesome, super-special nation in the world, but one way in which we are not number one is our internet. Sure, we have the greatest percentage of YouTube superstars and websites devoted to naked pictures of people's ex-girlfriends, but compared to other nations, our internets are slow. Very slow -- We're number 26 in the world according to a report by the Communications Workers of America.

But fear not: Our government is on the case. The FCC yesterday unveiled its plan to bring us into competition with internet speed demon nations like Japan and Sweden, laying out six goals to make America more cyber-y. Here they are:

* 100 million homes should have affordable access to download speeds of at least 100Mbps and upload speeds of 50 Mbps.
* The U.S. should lead the world in mobile innovation.
* Every American should have affordable access to robust broadband service.
* Every American community should have access to at least 1 Gbps broadband service to anchor schools, hospitals and government buildings.
* First responders should have access to a nationwide wireless public safety network.
* Ensure that America leads in the clean energy economy.

link to FCC's full plan, WARNING PDF FILE!

more here

I don't really get what "Ensure that America leads in the clean energy economy" has to do with high speed internet.

This sounds promising, but I bet Google 1Gbps internet service will come out first before this happens since the US Government isn't known for being quick at releasing something.

It does sound promising, but I wonder what the catch will be.. after all, there's no such thing as a free lunch..

The catch will probably mean higher taxes or spending cuts on other areas like education, health care, etc to get the funding for faster internet, or a Internet Toll tax where you have to pay a few extra dollars to use the faster internet.

Community Colleges, YMCAs, tutors, libraries, and Community Centres usually offer classes on using the internet for free or for very little money like 20-50 bucks. Some computer and ISPs also comes with tutorials books on using the internet.

Plus, there are plenty of kids who need to do volounteering to graduate at high school, so people can find kids who are willing to volunteer to teach you how to use the internet.

Community Colleges, YMCAs, tutors, libraries, and Community Centres usually offer classes on using the internet for free or for very little money like 20-50 bucks. Some computer and ISPs also comes with tutorials books on using the internet.

Plus, there are plenty of kids who need to do volounteering to graduate at high school, so people can find kids who are willing to volunteer to teach you how to use the internet.

I learned how to use a computer and the internet back when I was in grade school and that was in the 90's when computers were just starting to show promise. So there wouldn't be much volunteering needed for that.

I learned how to use a computer and the internet back when I was in grade school and that was in the 90's when computers were just starting to show promise. So there wouldn't be much volunteering needed for that.

Same for me, I remember when the internet was mainly text and picture based. I used to be so amazed by the official dragonball website. I found some great desktop wallpapers on there.

I think it will be great if kids can spend half of their school day at home doing online assignments at the local library PC, friends with internets house, or at home. If they don't hand in their online assignments, they lose the priviledge of studying at home and have to go to detention and do it by hand.

The only websites people need to learn how to use are Google, Facebook, Forums, Blogs and Youtube since their the main types of websites people visit for finding and sharing information.

It is not too hard to learn online since if you can't understand a word, you can go to dictionary.com or ask a question on answers.com.

I used the internet to learn how to install, and publish posts on Joomla, phpBB3, Drupal, Wordpress, and a lot of other sites.

It does sound promising, but I wonder what the catch will be.. after all, there's no such thing as a free lunch..

It's possible according to what most people say that it may not be affordable for most household groups, and may cost more than DSL and dial-up. It's what most are petitioning about. It's still early, but the cost of broadband may vary from ISP to ISP.

I see Gigabit Highspeed internet be useful for Library, Schools, and Public buildings where there are tons of computers since sharing one internet connection with hundreds or thousands of PCs can be really slow espiecally during lunch hour.

I remember when I was in school and the internet was so slow in the library during lunch that watching YT videos were laggy.

Back