Developed by: Square Enix
Published By: Square Enix
Released: JP September 13, 2007
NA March 25, 2008
EU June 20, 2008
Game Type: Action RPG
Players: 1

General Plot in Brief

You are solider 2nd class Zack and you have a dream, to become a hero. The course of this game leads up to the events of Final Fantasy VII and acts as the prologue to Final Fantasy VII.

Graphics: 5/5

Contained within this game are some of the best graphics the PSP is going to see for a long time. The FMV sequences contained are what Final Fantasy fans have come to expect of the FF series but considering this is on the PSP, it is a worthy achievement indeed (The FMV are on par with the animation seen in Advent Children). The in-game graphics can sometimes feel a little downgraded if you are used to PS3 or Xbox 360 graphics but trust me on this, there will not be another game on par in the graphics department on the PSP for a long time

Sound: 5/5

As with all Final Fantasy games, you would expect epic compositions of music that gets you more engrossed into the game, Crisis Core is no exception. However, do not be expecting your traditional music that you are used to hearing in every FF game. The music this time round has a more rock feel to it, just like Final Fantasy X-2. This is just as well because Crisis Core isn’t just a RPG, it’s an action RPG.

If you have played Final Fantasy 7 before, you will notice similarities between them. That’s just as well because some of the music contained is remixes of those classic FF7 mixes. The boss theme, for example, has a more heavy guitar to it, making it more battle like and more important at the same time.

Gameplay: 4/5

The gameplay in Crisis Core is different that most Final Fantasy games. As this is an action RPG, you would expect some sort of real time element. Indeed, Crisis Core does have real time elements found in games like Kingdom Hearts. In Kingdom Hearts, however, you didn’t have random battles, as the enemies where on the field ready to be attacked. Therefore, Crisis Core is semi real time. To begin with, you can equip 4 materia and 2 equipment items. However, as you advance though the game and complete missions, you can equip 2 more material and 2 more equipment items.

Moving onto missions, these are what you could consider mini games, separate from the main story. Doing missions does have benefits though. For example, doing missions is the only way you can break the damage limit (which is 9999) and to gain those valuable 2 extra accessory slots. Another plus about missions is that they essentially can be do on the go. Most of the missions take only a matter of minutes (with the exception of certain missions, which could be considered as extremely hard and/or insanely endless).

Moving onto battles, it is a simple case of pressing the x button to attack, L and R buttons to circle your battle commands and, if necessary, pressing triangle to block or another move (depending on the material you have equipped). There is essentially no other element involved. In some cases, you’ll simply find yourself button mashing to take down that foe that simply has loads and loads of HP. I didn’t even know a block button existed until I read it somewhere (I skimmed though the manual). To this effect, Final Fantasy: Crisis Core is an easy game.

An interesting feature that has been included in Crisis Core is what Square Enix call the “Digital Mind Wave†or DMW for short. The DMW is basically related to Zacks memories of important people that he has met (Hence the mind in DMW) and also summons that he has acquired. To continue, the DMW is essentially a slot machine, constantly spinning as long as you have a SP to spare. SP, or Solider Points, are acquired though killing enemies and, in this sense, are almost unlimited. The only way you could possibly run out of SP is if you are using material fusion.

Materia Fusion is an interesting mechanic that has been added to the game. As the name suggests, you fuse two materia together to create a new materia, carrying over the highest stat bonus of the two. Materia fusion can also be enhanced to include items, but this feature is acquired by doing missions. What is also interesting is the fact that this is the only way to achieve max stats for Zack. Simply getting to level 99 will not get you those max stats you have been working on.

Back to the DMW (I have a lot to talk about
), those pictures you acquire are what contains your limit breaks, powerful attacks that will mostly wipe out your enemy in one hit. As you progress though the game, you will acquire more powerful and useful limits. For example, lining up three Sephiroth’s lets Zack use Octoslash while lining up three Aerith’s and you active Healing Wind.

Keeping the DMW spinning is also essential to levelling up. Crisis Core contains a hidden EXP value that determines when you level up. However, to level up, you need to enter the limit verge screen. In this screen, you can activate limit breaks (as mentioned before) level up and level up your material. Basically, all these elements are left to chance.

For example, in one boss fight, you could level up 5 times and then it could take the whole course of the game before you achieve another level. This give it a sense of randomness and RPG fans might not like the fact that it is, essentially, left to chance. The DMW also give you bonuses, depending if you get 7s in the DMW or not.

To conclude, I really liked the way the game played, but the random feel that surrounds levelling up, and the frustration that it brings, has made me go for a 4/5

Lifespan Medium

Crisis Core is a quick game to play that, if you don’t do any of the missions, can be completed in 10 hours or less. Playing the missions will add loads more hours to this and, simply because of the missions. However, that’s the only real driving force that instigates replayability. The story won’t change on your next playthough, only the fact that you will complete all the missions (there are missable ones, which you are more likely to encounter on your next play though)

Overall Verdict: 4/5 Easily the best looking game on the PSP

If I gave this game so much praise, why I’m I giving it a 4/5. Well, to be honest, the only way you could enjoy this game is if you enjoyed Final Fantasy VII the first time around. Even though this is a prequel, you might not understand what all the fuss is about and why this is a great game. The levelling up mechanic can get frustrating at times and the battles could seem to veterans of the series to be too easy.

However, those things a little niks and picks. Contrary to what I said, this is a perfect introduction to the events of Final Fantasy VII (Even though playing this first will ruin some elements in Final Fantasy VII, if you haven’t played it yet). This defiantly does fans of the series justice in seeing the true events that led to Clouds origin.

great review HB. I do like lot of the new music and changes to it like one winged angle and the shinra music. I think the gameplay is good but mashing buttons could get tiring after while. I do wonder if the end FMV is a hint towards a FF 7 PS3?

Back