froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Mozilla is taking another page out of Chrome’s playbook by dropping an "iconic" section of its UI: Firefox 57 will use a single bar for searching and navigation. While the search bar will not be removed altogether, it is now considered redundant and will be disabled by default. Most Chromium-based browsers, such as Opera and Brave, have already adopted this configuration.

Read More

Hopefully, the search bar is easy to turn-on again.

I think this is not a good idea since some people still like the Search bar.

Some Firefox users maybe using Firefox because it is the only popular modern web browser which has a search bar unlike Chrome and Microsoft Edge which does not have a search bar.

my url bar in firefox (or at least my version of waterfox) does this, so not sure why they just need to drop the search bar.

I do like my search bar though, just as a way of keeping things different or if I need to look at the url bar. Hopefully Waterfox doesn't follow this practice.

Firefox has been straiving to be more like Chrome since Chrome turned mainstream.
Mozilla thinks it's the very reason why the majority has switched away from Firefox to Chrome, even though the real reason is much, much darker than that (it's Google, so expect it to be more evil than you can realise!).

Makes sense to me, don't see the need for them to be separate. Good that there is the option though.

The one advantage of the search bar is that it makes it easier for less tech savvy users to change the search engine from Google to Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, and Wikipedia by clicking on the small arrow next to the Search engine logo icon which has a drop down menu on the Search bar box.

The search box also save less tech savvy users time by not needing to manually go to Google.com or Bing.com because they may not know they can search from the address box.

Firefox has been straiving to be more like Chrome since Chrome turned mainstream.
Mozilla thinks it's the very reason why the majority has switched away from Firefox to Chrome, even though the real reason is much, much darker than that (it's Google, so expect it to be more evil than you can realise!).

do enlighten me as to the exact dark reason.

The one advantage of the search bar is that it makes it easier for less tech savvy users to change the search engine from Google to Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, and Wikipedia by clicking on the small arrow next to the Search engine logo icon which has a drop down menu on the Search bar box.

The search box also save less tech savvy users time by not needing to manually go to Google.com or Bing.com because they may not know they can search from the address box.
In case of Chrome and Chromium, you can as well type "google.com", youtube.com", "gamefaqs.com", or whatever other site you've visited before and has a search feature.
Instead of pressing Enter, you press Tab, and now the uni-bar transforms itself into a search box for that particular website.

do enlighten me as to the exact dark reason.
If I know in the case of Chrome, I would have said that already.
But in general, Google is well known for selling your personal information and spying on you, not only because the deep state wants them to do so, it's their biggest source (97%!) of income.
And another dark thing regarding Google is that they have recently starting to censor entire YouTube channels of independent journalists, because they cover topics governments don't want you to know about.

Some other notable examples:
Filter bubble.
Android is sneakingly recording your voice.

In case of Chrome and Chromium, you can as well type "google.com", youtube.com", "gamefaqs.com", or whatever other site you've visited before and has a search feature.
Instead of pressing Enter, you press Tab, and now the uni-bar transforms itself into a search box for that particular website.

If I know in the case of Chrome, I would have said that already.
But in general, Google is well known for selling your personal information and spying on you, not only because the deep state wants them to do so, it's their biggest source (97%!) of income.
And another dark thing regarding Google is that they have recently starting to censor entire YouTube channels of independent journalists, because they cover topics governments don't want you to know about.

Some other notable examples:
Filter bubble.
Android is sneakingly recording your voice.

ahh yes, one reason I don't really use chrome but sadly I have to push it at work.

ahh yes, one reason I don't really use chrome but sadly I have to push it at work.

Do you mean you have to push Chromebooks and Chromeboxes which are computers which only run Google Chrome, and some Google Android Apps if Google Play is installed on the Chromebooks and Chromeboxes?

It is kind of weird that you have to push a free web browser unless Google pays your store to advertise Chrome to PC and mobile users.

I have to use Chrome at work too, but that's more because I have to test web apps in it, and Firefox.
Practically need to do so on Edge and IE too, but I don't have any of these browsers, and I can't install them without installing Wine.

Do you mean you have to push Chromebooks and Chromeboxes which are computers which only run Google Chrome, and some Google Android Apps if Google Play is installed on the Chromebooks and Chromeboxes?

It is kind of weird that you have to push a free web browser unless Google pays your store to advertise Chrome to PC and mobile users.

I mean the browser, it is, from a ignorance populace view, a safe and secure browser.

it is streamlined plus if you have a google account all your browser stuff is backed up.

Chrome also has a built-in bookmark importer which let you import your bookmarks from IE, and Firefox. Chrome is also the one of the few modern web browser which has a lot of plug-ins, extensions, and themes which are compatible with Chrome.

Chrome also displays most websites correctly because if a website does not display well in Chrome, the website may not be listed in the Google search engine, or the website's link is pushed to a very far page on Google search engine.

Back