froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
To this day, Mozilla's latest software can work with your decade-old PC. However, even that team has its limits -- it's phasing out support for XP and Vista starting next year. Mozilla will start by moving users on these operating systems to the Extended Support Release in March 2017, limiting them to feature updates that can be "several cycles" behind the curve. And while the company plans to unveil a final support end date in the middle of that year, it'll effectively cut the cord in September, when it stops delivering security updates.

source

Now would be a good time to upgrade to Windows 7, or buy a computer with Windows 7, 8, and 10 if you want to continue using newer versions of Firefox after Sept. 2017.

I don't really thing that anyone using Windows XP is concerned with using "the latest version" of a browser. The one that already is installed on the PC will have to do. It's not like Firefox will make any breakthrough browsing improvements in the next few years.

I'm pretty sure this won't be an issue to anyone still using XP. Anyone using Vista though will have to upgrade something which I would recommend their OS.

I'm pretty sure this won't be an issue to anyone still using XP. Anyone using Vista though will have to upgrade something which I would recommend their OS.

I agree Firefox discontinuing XP won't be a huge issue for people who still use XP.

XP and Vista users can always use a virtual PC software like VirtualBox or VMware to run Linux, Windows 7, or 10 on a VirtualPC file if they really need to use the latest version of Firefox on their PC. It is also not hard to make a dual-boot computer to dual-boot both Linux and Windows on the same computer, so they can use Linux to run the latest version of Firefox.

I wonder if other browsers, such as Opera and Chrome, will do the same...

Back