Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDLc9SWqh9Q

Saturday morning American broadcast TV was once animation's home field. Filling a cereal bowl with artificially colored sugar pebbles and staring at the tube was every kid's weekend plan. Not any more: For the first time in 50-plus years, you won't find a block of animation on broadcast this morning. It's the end of an era.

Yes, The CW, the final holdout in Saturday morning animation, ran its last batch of Vortexx cartoons last weekend. This week, where you once saw shows like Cubix, Sonic X, Dragon Ball Z and Kai, Digimon Fusion, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, you'll instead find "One Magnificent Morning," a block of live-action educational programming.

It's the end of an era, but it's been a long time coming: NBC ditched Saturday morning cartoons in 1992, CBS followed suit not long after, and ABC lost its animated weekend mornings in 2004. The CW, a lower-tier broadcast network, was the last holdout in a game that the Big 3 left long ago.
What killed Saturday morning cartoons? Cable, streaming, and the FCC. In the 1990s, the FCC began more strictly enforcing its rule requiring broadcast networks to provide a minimum of three hours of "educational" programming every week. Networks afraid of messing with their prime-time slots found it easiest to cram this required programming in the weekend morning slot. The actual educational content of this live-action programming is sometimes debatable, but it meets the letter of the law.

But more importantly, with hundreds of cable and satellite channels to choose from that don't have to abide the FCC's guidelines, whippersnappers kids these days can get their animation fix any day of the week. With the rise of cable and satellite, advertisers no longer had to cram all their kid-aimed commercials into the four-hour Saturday morning block. When the money left Saturday mornings, so did the cartoons.

Add in mobile streaming from Netflix, Hulu, and the like, and you'll realize that the spoiled brats we're raising today don't even need to dash to the TV in time to catch the opening credits. They can just watch whatever, whenever. Sheesh.

Still, there's something a little hollow about the notion that we woke up this morning to an America bereft of broadcast 'toons. I guess we all had to grow up sometime.
source

Man sucks for kids today, when I was growing there was at least 6 different channels that had great Saturday morning cartoon blocks going and I was doing more channel flipping than watching. I would often eat some good sweets and a glass of Hi-C fruit punch (many of the both gone now) and those were great times.

How things have gotten dark.

It's the same over here in the UK now. I remember when I was a kid there was so much on that I loved to watch on a Saturday and a Sunday morning I used to love it but nowadays it's cooking programs or political programs on the channels the kids TV shows used to be on which is a shame.

I believe they will be missed a lot why they have done this I don't know I can only think they did not get enough viewings but personally I loved watching cartoons on a Saturday morning 

I can't say I didn't see it coming, but it still is sad to see. I used to really look forward to Saturday morning cartoons, and was often torn between the different stations. Mainly it was Kids Wb, and Fox Kids, but there were other channels I sometimes watched once I got cable. It was the best time for picking up on new shows, and despite it being difficult it was fun waiting the long week to spend those several hours in front of the TV. 

hissae2 said:
I remember getting up at 6am on saturday mornings for a while to watch my favourite cartoon at the time (can't remember what it was anymore). Surprising there are no more cartoons on any channels on saturday anymore
Well there are some cartoons on, but nothing formed into blocks that would make a kid get up early to watch.

Back