For Linux users.

SirJoe

Credits
Linux is not known for having great games, but I have heard that there are some programmers that are trying to create some interesting products for gamers. I do use Linux but I haven't really played on it, are there any decent games available to Linux users?

I have played a few games on Linux. I find that Steam is the best place for Linux games, definitely a smaller selection compared to Windows, but still a good amount of games available.

The Ubuntu Software Center is also a good place for finding games. I found games like Assault Cube, OpenArena, Tux Racer, Torcs, and many other games which are compatible with Linux in the Ubuntu Software Center in Ubuntu Linux.

Man, just check out Steam. There are almost 200 games on the Summer Sale (and more than 2000 overall) and many of them are really, really good! I'm talking about the Linux-compatible only. My steam library has 70 titles working under Linux without using Wine, and if you're willing to use Wine, you can look for more than 3 times at least the amount of games available in the sale. Just look for games that aren't using DX10/DX11, basically just find a game that you like and check it on https://appdb.winehq.org/. You'll find instructions there to run the games that are not working out of the box.

Wow, I didn't expect to see so many games that could run on Linux. I like Linux because it doesn't use as many resources as Windows. That means that it runs much faster, so you could in principle play heavier games in Linux then what you can in Windows.

Linux can play most games, it just requires a little effort (like everything on Linux.)

A ton of games natively support Linux on Steam (and you can search by a Linux friendly tag to find them.) But you should really look into using WINE or something like PlayOnLinux, they allow you to emulate Windows to play just about any game. ^^

Does anyone remember when you could install linux on the ps3 guys? It was certainly the hype of the time but for some odd reason it isn't as popular as it once was. But I guess the rise of the mobile market could be to blame for that as well. I had just taken notice when I was trying to salvage a old computer by placing puppy linux as a replacement for windows xp. It certainly was a smooth transition but the flash was so bad that it kind of made it pointless to use.

A lot of games are available natively and also through Wine and PlayOnLinux. The problem with PlayOnLinux is that the games don't always work. For example, I attempted to play LoL on Ubuntu 16.04 and I couldn't even patch the game. Also, the bad optimization makes the games run really poorly. If you're gaming, I'd highly recommend going with Windows.

I know there are a lot of good Indie games that run natively on Linux, to answer your question.

Back