froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft swears that users will always be asked before their computer is upgraded to Windows 10, but there are more and more examples that this isn’t always happening. And the latest blunder happened with no less than 120,000 witnesses.

If you’re a gaming enthusiast, you probably heard of Erik Flom, a former professional Counter Strike Global Offensive player who is now a full-time streamer, according to his online profile.

During his most recent live stream, Flom was stunned to see the computer he was playing on automatically starting the Windows 10 upgrade without any prior warning, prompt, message, or anything. One second you buy a hand grenade and then boom, the Windows 10 upgrade starts, rebooting your computer and asking you to sit back and relax because the whole process is performed automatically.

Read more

This must have been disappointing for most of the 120,000 viewers who were hoping to have a fun time watching Erik Flom play Counter Strike at a pro level, but the stream got interrupted by a Windows 10 forced update.

I bet, some of his fans had to miss work, school, and other important things to take time out of their day, so they can watch Erik Flom play CS live.

I would be disappointed if a Windows forced update, internet connection problems, and problems caused me to miss the live stream of a game, concert, or video stream with a celebrity or regular person which I am a fan of.

And this is why I don't use Windows. They have complete control over their users.

I agree, Windows seem to have more control over its users than other operating systems. Linux, UNIX, Mac, and other OSes allow users to choose not to download and install updates.

I really can't feel any empathy for someone who would miss school or work to watch another person play video games.

Erik Flom is a professional gamer where, so most of the people who are watching are most likely his fans, family and friends, and there are fewer regular people who are not fans who watch other regular gamers like other Twitch streamers where many of their viewers are not as dedicated to their streams.

I can understand the frustrations of having technical problems like a forced Windows Update stopping viewers from having a good time watching Erik Flom play Counter Strike. It most likely feels like someone turning off the TV signal to your house while you are watching a live event like sports shows where you can't view it live again, or interact in live conversation on Facebook or Twitter with the sports announcers and hosts.

That's why making gameplay videos on YouTube will always be better than live streaming on Twitch...

I prefer YouTube videos as well since I can download the video with a browser add-on or subscribe to YouTube Red if I wanted to, or just hit the pause button, and wait for the entire video to fully download before watching it.

But, I feel Twitch livestreaming does have the advantage of live interaction with fans, and the gamer host which is not possible with Pre-recorded video where the host does not reply to comments in real-time.

Some people may watch livestreams because they live by themselves, and feel lonely. The chatroom in livestream makes them feel less lonely because they can send messages to the host, and other chatroom members who are watching the same livestream.

Back