Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
What features or addons that forums used a lot are no longer around?

What features or addons that forums used a lot are no longer around?
Older topic but thought we could revise it. One thing I liked & miss is Webrings. My forum from years ago utilized Webrings. They are liken to Affiliate Exchanges. It was a collection of websites linked by a specific theme. So if you went to a forum for i.e. gaming, you could go to the Webring & find other gaming forums.

Older topic but thought we could revise it. One thing I liked & miss is Webrings. My forum from years ago utilized Webrings. They are liken to Affiliate Exchanges. It was a collection of websites linked by a specific theme. So if you went to a forum for i.e. gaming, you could go to the Webring & find other gaming forums.

I.... don't think I've heard of Webring? Guessing thats why they went under.

I miss Desktop-only forum themes/templates which were mainly designed for browsing forums on a desktop PC.

I.... don't think I've heard of Webring? Guessing thats why they went under.
Now you got me thinking of WHY they stopped. So I went to the Wiki page. Never know how accurate some can be but sounds legit:
"When the primary site that managed web rings, webring.org was acquired by Yahoo, "ring masters" lost access to their webrings and the web ring hubs were replaced by a Yahoo page. By the time Yahoo stopped controlling webring.org in 2001, search engines had become good enough that web rings were no longer as useful."

To me, I believe it had a lot to do with search engines being better.

Now you got me thinking of WHY they stopped. So I went to the Wiki page. Never know how accurate some can be but sounds legit:
"When the primary site that managed web rings, webring.org was acquired by Yahoo, "ring masters" lost access to their webrings and the web ring hubs were replaced by a Yahoo page. By the time Yahoo stopped controlling webring.org in 2001, search engines had become good enough that web rings were no longer as useful."

To me, I believe it had a lot to do with search engines being better.

Ah before mine time and taken into Yahoo, it simply vanished into the ether.

I strangely miss BBCode being the only way to format things. It was terrible, but oddly satisfying when a large post came together. Plus being an admin and trying to turn html into BBCode was always an adventure.

Back