Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

A hacker got the full NES video game library on the NES mini. A shame Nintendo didn't do it from the start.

A hacker got the full NES video game library on the NES mini. A shame Nintendo didn't do it from the start.

I agree, it is a shame that Nintendo did not do this from the start.

I think Nintendo may think they will earn more money by releasing their older games more slowly to mini consoles like the NES MINI, and make people buy more consoles with pre-bundled games, or buy virtual console and physical disc and cartridge copies of the same games on the Wii, Wii U, and Switch, and their handhelds like the 3DS.

I know they upgraded the games some though, I wonder how long the process was? I like to think it takes to long or they would have sold the NES Mini with it being upgradeable.

I think non-upgradeable computers and electronics are generally cheaper to build because non-upgradeable electronics are assembled by robots, and need fewer low-wage factory workers to solder, and test each components individually before selling them.

There are some non-upgradeable Asian Mini-PCs with a built-in HDMI plug, and USB port which cost around $20.

I'm guessing the NES Mini maybe using a cheap Asian made mini-PC, and flashing a custom ROM onto the memory chip to install the games, and operating system to it, and using a custom case for the NES Mini.

I think non-upgradeable computers and electronics are generally cheaper to build because non-upgradeable electronics are assembled by robots, and need fewer low-wage factory workers to solder, and test each components individually before selling them.

There are some non-upgradeable Asian Mini-PCs with a built-in HDMI plug, and USB port which cost around $20.

I'm guessing the NES Mini maybe using a cheap Asian made mini-PC, and flashing a custom ROM onto the memory chip to install the games, and operating system to it, and using a custom case for the NES Mini.

If I remember a NES mini tear down, it was just a reworked NES motherboard of sorts.

It's definitely a shame. I would have bought it for sure if they released all the games for the NES mini.

If I remember a NES mini tear down, it was just a reworked NES motherboard of sorts.

I wonder if Nintendo is using a re-worked motherboard design to save time because they still have the original motherboard design, and case design, so they just needs to Shrink both to make it mini.

I read the NES mini was more powerful than the Wii on NES Mini teardowns have begun, chips identified because the NES mini used a Allwinner Chinese CPU, has 256 MB of RAM,512MB of storage, and has a Mali-400 video chip .These parts are usually found on the cheapest smartphones from China.

The NES Mini should have been built with an SD Card port so that Nintendo could sell collections of games ("Sports", "Adventure", etc.). It's so weird and limiting that it only comes with 30 games.

This hack is pretty cool, although I can't help but fell that a Raspberry Pi would be a better investment.

The NES Mini should have been built with an SD Card port so that Nintendo could sell collections of games ("Sports", "Adventure", etc.). It's so weird and limiting that it only comes with 30 games.

This hack is pretty cool, although I can't help but fell that a Raspberry Pi would be a better investment.

would have been pretty cool, my only guess is Nintendo didn't want to spend time on cleaning up so many retro games.

Why would they need to clean up the games? Am I missing something?

Games from back then do not look well on HD tvs of today or weren't programmed very well (no save option for example) so they went through the games and brought them up to standards (such as looking good on a HDMI connection and being able to save).

Games from back then do not look well on HD tvs of today or weren't programmed very well (no save option for example) so they went through the games and brought them up to standards (such as looking good on a HDMI connection and being able to save).
Fair point. One game I recall but that was on N64 that you didn't have saves, you had to enter a long password. Now that wasn't much fun.

There is also the licenses. Many relationships and licenses have changed since the games came out so legally they probably wouldn't be able to just add every single NES game.

Back