Games on steam with an outrageous amount of achievements

Danielx64

Credits
Well there this one game that I own, it's a good little driving game. It had about 15 or so achievements. Not too many IMO. Anyhow I found that this blown up and gone to 400+

How many achievements do you think a game should have?

Here's some example of the crazy amount of achievements that some games have:

upload_2017-6-30_22-20-23.png

This game I could leave on idle and it would unlock themselves:

upload_2017-6-30_22-21-7.png

I'm okay with some achievements. However, I think too many can take away from the game almost, especially if it's a game with a story mode in it.

I'm okay with some achievements. However, I think too many can take away from the game almost, especially if it's a game with a story mode in it.
Pretty much it, one good game was ruined (as said above) by overdoing the achievements. There also been the case where I wish that there were some achievements but that mostly for older games.

30 maybe would be enough. There were some games to have even 500+ achievements, and these were short games. You basically get an achievement for every action, and that just ruins the fun of it. It's called achievement for a reason; you want to work for it so you can brag to people you got the achievement. I don't necessarily like timed achievements or one life / no death achievements, but they're specifically that, something you have to achieve through gameplay mastery.

Holy achievements. I don't think that I have any games with such high amounts. That seriously seems like an overkill. Do they award you for everything or what?

I agree with OursIsTheFury. Remember when achievements were initially introduced into gaming? games only had a couple achievements but those few were so rewarding when you actually got them... not like now, ''Oh, hey, you finished a quest? here have an achievement''. It beats their purpose. They should rename them into just action points or something and separate them from the original achievements to preserve their VALUE.

I do really enjoy getting them though. I have several games on PS4 that I have Platinum Trophies for. None of them have over 100 though! The more isn't the better in this case.

Holy achievements. I don't think that I have any games with such high amounts. That seriously seems like an overkill. Do they award you for everything or what?

I agree with OursIsTheFury. Remember when achievements were initially introduced into gaming? games only had a couple achievements but those few were so rewarding when you actually got them... not like now, ''Oh, hey, you finished a quest? here have an achievement''. It beats their purpose. They should rename them into just action points or something and separate them from the original achievements to preserve their VALUE.

I do really enjoy getting them though. I have several games on PS4 that I have Platinum Trophies for. None of them have over 100 though! The more isn't the better in this case.
But at the end of the day though achievements are just stats on your page. You don't get cards off finishing an entire game's achievement list; you don't get any Steam credit. It's only important for completionists (like me) but sometimes it gets tiring since the game devs usually try to get extra game hours and replay value from players by having them chase achievements.

One of the game you get an achievement just for crashing a car. And that repeat itself over 400 times. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

One of the game you get an achievement just for crashing a car. And that repeat itself over 400 times. Pretty dumb if you ask me.
Yup, either the developer didn't care enough to make significant achievements or they just want you to waste your time with their game. Some games I hear are only marketed towards achievement hunters since these games are easily done and could do 100% achievement in less than an hour. So I guess it's money well spent for a free perfect game, huh?

Yup, either the developer didn't care enough to make significant achievements or they just want you to waste your time with their game. Some games I hear are only marketed towards achievement hunters since these games are easily done and could do 100% achievement in less than an hour. So I guess it's money well spent for a free perfect game, huh?
Well I didn't pay a thing for the game (it was given away for free) but it did piss me off when it happened.

Well I didn't pay a thing for the game (it was given away for free) but it did piss me off when it happened.
This Summer sale there were "quests" to get stickers and cards for your profile. One was to get an achievement, and people were discussing all these free games that would get you 100% achievement in 15 minutes, which was a shame since it really cheapens the achievements of other games. I finished only 2 games perfectly. Witcher 3 and Skyrim. Skyrim was pretty basic; just do all significant quests and you're all set. Witcher 3 had challenges like taking 50 headshots with a crossbow and that sort, which was fun too.

Honestly I'm pretty opposed to games having more than say, 50-70 achievements or so. Maybe there are people who feel otherwise, but in my opinion the more achievements you have the less they are worth. The satisfaction of gaining an achievement is in the time and effort you put into unlocking it. If you have hundreds of achievements, that means a good chunk of them are going to probably be extremely trivial. Getting an achievement like "You walked a step!" and then following it by "You walked two steps!" makes for a false sense of achievement and degrades their value.

Honestly I'm pretty opposed to games having more than say, 50-70 achievements or so. Maybe there are people who feel otherwise, but in my opinion the more achievements you have the less they are worth. The satisfaction of gaining an achievement is in the time and effort you put into unlocking it. If you have hundreds of achievements, that means a good chunk of them are going to probably be extremely trivial. Getting an achievement like "You walked a step!" and then following it by "You walked two steps!" makes for a false sense of achievement and degrades their value.
I agree. Having "perfect games" used to be an incredible feat since you had to finish the game, do all the quests, finish again in the higher difficulties, and sometimes even have to do timed challenges to get an achievement. Now it's just one achievement after another, and the games with those aren't even that good. It's like an indie developer just said fuck it and stopped trying to make a game, used achievements to be a selling point, and then slapped a price tag at it.

I feel like if a game has more than 20 or 30 achievements, it removes the novelty of having achievements in the first place. And it's kind of a pain if you have an insane number of achievements to get, in my opinion. I'm sure there are some people out there who strive to gain every one of the 400+ achievements in one of those games and find it rewarding, but I personally don't.

The main problem I have is with Killing Floor:

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 11.33.00 AM.png

285 achievements, not as many as some of the other games mentioned here, but my main problem is with the nature of the achievements. It's one thing to have a ton of them, but I want them to be reasonable achievable. Killing Floor has a slew of specific achievements that were only unlockable during their Christmas and summer events back in 2013 or 2014 and so on. Meaning that I can't unlock them now since those events have passed years ago, which I find really annoying.

Back