Games you consider overrated?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Are there any? And if so, what are they?

For me, I've always considered the Super Mario Galaxy titles a bit overrated. Not by much, they're both amazing; but they're not 'best game ever' material..

I also have to admit not finding Super Mario RPG, the Earthbound series or Yoshi's Island quite as good as the rest of the internet either.

But what about you?

In all honestly I consider the MOTHER games (particulary Earthbound and MOTHER 3, not MOTHER 1 so much haha) as well as its spiritual succesor Undertale to be overrated. Don't get me wrong I like these games and even if I didnt, I probably would understand why people would like them. Still I consider that they get a bit too much praise

With Earthbound the reason why I see the game series as overrated may come from a personal grudge of sorts, as silly as that may sound. You see, I am a huge fan/researcher of more obscure IPs, especially when it comes to the lesser known IPs of Nintendo. So of course I like to lurk around the net and see whatever games other peeps think are underrated...and well..when talked about underrated Nintendo titles Earthbound seems to pop up in these discussions. And it kinda pissess me off tbh. Sure earthbound used to be underrated and it flopped catastrophically when it was released. However, as time went on it became a cult classic with huge following (probably has the biggest active fandom of a non-active Nintendo franchise or at least is high up there) to the point it is seen as the grandfather of the Comedy RPG subgenre as well as inspiration for such titles as LISA or Undertale. That doesn't sound underrated doesn't it? Especially when Nintendo has many forgotten, underrated IPs. Like what about the Starfy series? Custom Robo? Drill Dozer? Code Name S.T:E.A.M (yeah I was a minority who liked let alone played this game hahaha)? The list goes on and on. I could mentoin japan exclusives like Tomato Adventure, Famcom Tantei club-series and that frog game that was predecor for legend of Zelda links awakening and has hard as heck name? Sure some of these titles are not for everyone *cough cns coguh* and they do have their own (small) cult followings .The problem is Earthbound gets mentoined in the underrated lists a lot, while actually obscure and overlooked Nintendo IPs dont. So yeah there comes my silly grudge haha

With its succesor I have a similar ableit smaller grudge. Many people want this game outside Japan (which I want too) but there are so many good games that I want outside Japan. Like the Starfy series or Tomato Adventure

With Undertale, I can see why the game is loved by everyone and their (goat) moms. It has loveable characters,unique battle system and is filled with the dev thinks of everything which adds replay value. Not only that but it was a game where the choice system was well made (I mean it wasnt those forced option choice systems) and its one of the few modern games whiere violence is not the answer and to get the best ending you have to go full pacifist. Not every day do we come across an unique game which actually becomes more than a cult classic. The problem with Undertale is, it exploded. I was active in the community back then when the game was new (around october-november time) and not everywhere like it feels that it is nowadays. Nowadays it just feel that its eveywhere and that little kids (among the dark side of the (surface) web) are ruining it.Its kinda like the FNAF craze from a year ago,expect this time for an actually good game hahaha. Not only that but Undertale isnt that fresh and new as people think it is. It just does things better (and in a new way) than most other games that have done those things. Also unlike its fanbase may state it isn't perfect either, as some people may find the game too bullet hellish or preachy for their taste.

So TLDR: I enjoy both games, they just get a bit too much praise and exposure for their own good. Also Earthbound is not the most underrated game Nintendo has made. Nor its sequel the only Japan exclusive that should be released outside japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back