Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
The new direction is part of a partnership with colossal marketing company R/GA and revolves around GameStop’s long held desire to “re-affirm its place in video game culture.”

“Together, GameStop and R/GA are developing and piloting new and streamlined physical store concepts, introducing new ways for gamers to try new titles before they buy them…” Read the announcement before going on to say that unique store concepts that offer things like “competitive sessions in home-grown e-Leagues to locations that sell strictly retro gaming software and hardware” are just some of the ideas that they’re going to trial in new concept stores.

GameStop wants to create a place to have local video game competitions or somewhere for gamers to sit in front of a decent CRT TV as well. Some of these options are pretty hard to come by in most towns, so it is hoping to capitalize on those to find new streams of revenue in a world constantly shifting toward a digital future.

I feel Retro Gaming would be nice since a lot of people are interested in retro games.

What'll happen is they'll have to focus on location and interest. If there's a retro game store nearby (but it wouldn't matter in case the selection is different) or if there's enough people interested in e-Leagues in the area. Hopefully they have some showing up where I live but I won't keep my hopes up.

I don't get how they plan to do this for many locations, as many like mine, are crammed packed into a tiny mall space, at mine you can't get anything else into it. Not a retro section much less a gaming tournament section.

Back