Gaming on Linux?

Mascot Tom

Don't be that guy
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Has anyone tried to run the Steam client on a Linux OS yet? How did it go?

Proton runs a lot of PC games well enough, but there are some games on steam that have a SteamOS build of the game, such as Half Life 2 and CS:GO.

If you have a Steam deck, you're gaming on Linux, since Steam OS is just a fork of Debian Linux.

Running Steam vs running a game is two different stories.

I’ve tried it, and the experience can be hit or miss, but that depends on what type of experience you can tolerate.

Some games work perfectly fine like Windows where you just click install and you’re good to go. Others require you to put some work into it. If you don’t own/play a lot of games, it won’t bother you much, but if you do, the time for troubleshooting can add up. If you enjoy troubleshooting computers, it also won’t bother you.

The biggest thing to consider is whether or not you’re into a lot of online gaming. There’s quite a few that have anti-cheat systems and the simple fact that you’re running a Linux distro will get you banned no matter what.

I played Dota 2 on Steam for Linux installed on Ubuntu a few years ago. Dota 2 ran pretty good on Ubuntu Linux. I also ran Quake 3, and Minecraft on the Raspberry Pi mini PC which used a version of Debian. Quake 3 and Minecradt ran well on the Raspberry Pi.

I use Linux on my old laptop but I can not say that I have ever tried to run Steam on it. I was aware that you could use Steam on it but just have not gotten around to installing it and giving it a try.

For how much I use Steam though at the moment, I don't think it would be worth it, at least not at the moment for me to install it.

Back