General thoughts on Mega Evolutions?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Well, what do you think of them, as a general rule?

Personally, I think they're a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, they really improve Pokemon that have no other way to get better; after all, Charizard and Blastoise and Tyranitar and Garchomp and whatever else are already at their final evolutionary level, you can't just add a level/item based one on top like you could with other species.

On the other hand... Nintendo has serious issues when it comes to choosing good targets for Mega Evos. Almost all the super powerful legendaries and fan favourited get one, yet many lesser Pokemon just get completely shafted (likely because adding one to the each starter is more of a selling point than making Mega Deliberd or Mega Luvdisc). And with the legendaries... do they really need them? Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Mewtwo... they were already god level powerful without them, they're just turning them into 'completely destroy the metagame' level monsters now.

But what do you think?

Personally, I think they're a bit of a mixed bag.  On the one hand, they really improve Pokemon that have no other way to get better; after all, Charizard and Blastoise and Tyranitar and Garchomp and whatever else are already at their final evolutionary level, you can't just add a level/item based one on top like you could with other species.

On the other hand... Nintendo has serious issues when it comes to choosing good targets for Mega Evos.  Almost all the super powerful legendaries and fan favourited get one, yet many lesser Pokemon just get completely shafted (likely because adding one to the each starter is more of a selling point than making Mega Deliberd or Mega Luvdisc).  And with the legendaries... do they really need them?  Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Mewtwo... they were already god level powerful without them, they're just turning them into 'completely destroy the metagame' level monsters now.

But what do you think?

Exactly what I have been campaigning all along. Perfect concept. Poor execution. Things like Magicarp and Eevee need megas (Then original eevee would have a reason to be in your line-up rather than just being cute :( Poor Eevee~ ). Can you imagine a Mega Kakuna or Mega Metapod? I imagine they would look B.A. and add psychic on as a secondary trait (similar to how Charizard X changes).

Personally, I think they're a bit of a mixed bag.  On the one hand, they really improve Pokemon that have no other way to get better; after all, Charizard and Blastoise and Tyranitar and Garchomp and whatever else are already at their final evolutionary level, you can't just add a level/item based one on top like you could with other species.

On the other hand... Nintendo has serious issues when it comes to choosing good targets for Mega Evos.  Almost all the super powerful legendaries and fan favourited get one, yet many lesser Pokemon just get completely shafted (likely because adding one to the each starter is more of a selling point than making Mega Deliberd or Mega Luvdisc).  And with the legendaries... do they really need them?  Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Mewtwo... they were already god level powerful without them, they're just turning them into 'completely destroy the metagame' level monsters now.

But what do you think?

Exactly what I have been campaigning all along. Perfect concept. Poor execution. Things like Magicarp and Eevee need megas (Then original eevee would have a reason to be in your line-up rather than just being cute :( Poor Eevee~ ). Can you imagine a Mega Kakuna or Mega Metapod? I imagine they would look B.A. and add psychic on as a secondary trait (similar to how Charizard X changes).

The thing is that megas go the the final evo of the pokes, so mega carp and mega kakuna/metapod are out the question (that is to bad)  But what about those single evo pokes? Farfetch, Tauros, Unkown, Lapras, ect...  Mega evolution could help this guys become more attractive to the gamers, instead of just get them to collect them all.  Screw the legendary mega spam fest, give it to the ones in need.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_that_are_not_part_of_an_evolutionary_line

Last edited by a moderator:

But what do you think?

The thing is that megas go the the final evo of the pokes, so mega carp and mega kakuna/metapod are out the question (that is to bad)  But what about those single evo pokes? Farfetch, Tauros, Unkown, Lapras, ect...  Mega evolution could help this guys become more attractive to the gamers, instead of just get them to collect them all.  Screw the legendary mega spam fest, give it to the ones in need.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_that_are_not_part_of_an_evolutionary_line

I know they go on the ends of things, but GF changes rules all the time - even elements of the mons. They could just as easily break the "end-only" formula and make it go on anything.

One of my all time favs got a Mega

Poke.jpg

I'm glad he did, but still he didn't need it as much as the ones in the list I posted above.

Also this!

133459_screenshot_05.png

^_^

One of my all time favs got a Mega

Poke.jpg

I'm glad he did, but still he didn't need it as much as the ones in the list I posted above.

Also this!

133459_screenshot_05.png

^_^

Me and a friend were joking about a Mega Pidgeot being in X/Y a few weeks ago but we both said it wouldn't be likely I have to tell him about this

Personally, I think they're a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, they really improve Pokemon that have no other way to get better; after all, Charizard and Blastoise and Tyranitar and Garchomp and whatever else are already at their final evolutionary level, you can't just add a level/item based one on top like you could with other species.

On the other hand... Nintendo has serious issues when it comes to choosing good targets for Mega Evos. Almost all the super powerful legendaries and fan favourited get one, yet many lesser Pokemon just get completely shafted (likely because adding one to the each starter is more of a selling point than making Mega Deliberd or Mega Luvdisc). And with the legendaries... do they really need them? Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Mewtwo... they were already god level powerful without them, they're just turning them into 'completely destroy the metagame' level monsters now.

But what do you think?

The thing is that megas go the the final evo of the pokes, so mega carp and mega kakuna/metapod are out the question (that is to bad) But what about those single evo pokes? Farfetch, Tauros, Unkown, Lapras, ect... Mega evolution could help this guys become more attractive to the gamers, instead of just get them to collect them all. Screw the legendary mega spam fest, give it to the ones in need.

To be honest, I suspect most of the Pokemon you name WILL get Mega Evolutions. Mega Tauros and Mega Lapras almost seem like sure things, and the other two at least have a small chance of getting salvaged by Mega Evos.

I feel that they're cool for show like shiny Pokemon, but I feel like they're not useful in battle. The only time I ever used Mega Charizard was to avoid his flying weakness, but even still that only happened a handful of times. Other than that, it was never needed.

I feel that they're cool for show like shiny Pokemon, but I feel like they're not useful in battle. The only time I ever used Mega Charizard was to avoid his flying weakness, but even still that only happened a handful of times. Other than that, it was never needed.

Not useful? Have you seen the stats and abilities some Mega Evos have? Like Mega Gengar?

I think Beedrill seems like a waste of an evolution since the first I heard of it, especially with M-Pigeot and M-Rayquaza. He sounds strong but he might get average stats. Perhaps he was made to counter M-Altaria and M-Slowbro. The designs look great and the concept is very interesting and team countering by just a simple decision of who has the better team/Mega. The game isn't fully unfair but it surely seems that way. M-Mewtwo wasn't that broken if Aegislash and Sucker Punch exist in many strong Pokemon. If it was M-Mewtwo X then you can have Gale Wings Talon to counter it. The game was made to have simple type counters and if you exclude one Pokemon from a certain metagame then the whole thing seems broken. As long as hax exists there will always be luck involved in this game so I guess having more of it won't hurt a thing.?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, it seems like the Mega Evos are being chosen to simply give every elite four member and gym leader and champion at least one Mega Evo each...

Is that going to be the trend now?

Back