Generation the consoles should have stopped at?

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
We are currently on the 8th generation of gaming consoles with the 9th generation looming ever closer. Did you ever want the console generation to stop at a certain point with games just being made for that generation forever?

I kind of wish that consoles stopped on the PS2 era, the game consoles back then were properly balanced and great games were always coming out for them.

No. I think that stopping technological progress is not something beneficial to us. Sure, progress means going through faulty steps, but usually a generation that proves to be worse then the previous one is something to learn from and that leads to creating a future generation that will offer even better features.

The next generation is looming closer? Aren't we just getting into the 3rd year?

As for the generation we should have stopped at... I agree with the PS2 statement. This is because I feel most games are made with graphics in mind and not gameplay/story.

Last edited:
The next generation is looming closer? Aren't we just getting into the 3rd year?

As for the generation we should have stopped at... I agree with the PS2 statement. This is because I fill most games now are based on graphics and not gameplay/story.

Well, the Nintendo NX might be out this year or next year, and that's presumably counted as a 9th gen system.

As for when they should have stopped... never. I like seeing each new generation of systems and the games they make possible.

I felt the PS2 is the best console era since the games seem to have the best story, and gameplay which kept me entertained for many hours per day.

I feel a lot of games and consoles now are designed to make you spend more money on online subscriptions, streaming video, DLC, and virtual items, and focus more heavily on graphics rather than great gameplay and stories like the original Kingdom Hearts games for the PS2.

I don't think they should. I think there will be a constant blurring of the lines between consoles and PC (like seen with the Steam machines), but they offer a necessary convenience in comparison to computers today which make them have a clear market to justify having new consoles.

Hmm, I don't think there is a generation that they should have stopped making consoles at. The PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation was awesome, but the gaming industry was just starting to venture into the world of online gaming.

The next generation really completely revolutionized that. Therefore if there had to be a generation to stop at, I would say it should have been the 7th.

Hmm, I don't think there is a generation that they should have stopped making consoles at. The PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation was awesome, but the gaming industry was just starting to venture into the world of online gaming.

The next generation really completely revolutionized that. Therefore if there had to be a generation to stop at, I would say it should have been the 7th.

and with the discovery of online came gamers worst fate, over priced DLC and microtransactions.

and with the discovery of online came gamers worst fate, over priced DLC and microtransactions.
I suppose, but I did read a interesting perspective on microtransactions the other day where a commenter suggested that without those additional ways to make a few more bucks off a game, the prices of games themselves would be significantly higher then they currently are.

I am not sure they would be "significantly" higher, as I don't people being willing to pay $100 + for one game, but I could see them being at least $5-$10 more per game.

I suppose, but I did read a interesting perspective on microtransactions the other day where a commenter suggested that without those additional ways to make a few more bucks off a game, the prices of games themselves would be significantly higher then they currently are.

I am not sure they would be "significantly" higher, as I don't people being willing to pay $100 + for one game, but I could see them being at least $5-$10 more per game.

I'm more than willing to pay more for a game if it comes complete and near bug free.

Back