Getting a Wii U, recommendations for games?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I'm going to get Smash Bros, 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker and a few others.

So any suggestions?

Not New Super Mario Bros U. I'm done with New Super Mario Bros period.

Splatoon seems cool, though I'm not sure I'm a fan of it.

I'll probably get Tropical Freeze at some point.

Bayonetta is good, and you get the two games for the price of one. Tropical Freeze is good too, with amazing graphics and soundtrack, and quite difficult. it really does look stellar. I've really enjoyed Captain Toad, although I haven't played it a ton- it's a fun puzzle game, really bright and perky.

I can't say I'd personally recommend the new Mario Party. It's probably fine, but I'm exceedingly unlucky I guess, as I've lost every game I've played on there, and get overly frustrated with it.

I'm very on the fence about Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. You control Kirby solely using the gamepad, and it's entirely indirectly. You draw a line on the tablet screen with the pen, and Kirby will follow it, riding either atop it or below depending on where he hits it at, and you can dash and supercharge by either tapping Kirby or tapping and holding the screen- but it's fidgety to work with, and can get frustrating really quickly. The claymation graphics look wonderful, but ou'll be looking at the gamepad screen the whole time, and while it looks good there for sure, it's hardly an HD TV either. It seems like a game you'll either adore, or hate- I've still not made up my mind, though I don't think I'd have gotten past the second world boss without my husband controlling waddle-dee as the second player (it can go up to 4 or even 5 I think), and the other players get to directly control their characters.

Splatoon is actually really, really fun. I was surprised by how much I actually like it when I usually despise gyro controls and shooters- it's actually got me using the gyro more in other games, and not -hating- it as much. You should give it a chance if you have any interest at all! Hyrule Warriors is fun, IF you like Hack and Slash and Dynasty Warrior style games (tons of characters, specific objective based levels)- if not it's definitely not for you.

And of course, later this year there's Yoshi's Wooly World, Star Fox Zero, Mario Tennis, the new Xenoblade Chronicles, and at some point the new Zelda next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that mean that Super Mario Maker is out of the picture? That's coming out in 4 days from now. >.>
He said in the first line there he was getting Mario Maker. The New Super Mario set of platformers are what he's tired of. Which is a shame, I really liked the Wii U one.

Well New Super Mario Bros U is probably the best in the series, but that's your choice.

I'd say Hyrule Warriors. It's like Zelda, but without puzzles and I'm okay with that.

He said in the first line there he was getting Mario Maker. The New Super Mario set of platformers are what he's tired of. Which is a shame, I really liked the Wii U one.

Bingo. Mario Maker is fine. New Super Mario Bros I'd rather forget about til it actually impresses me again.

Hyrule Warriors could be an interesting choice I guess.

Bingo. Mario Maker is fine. New Super Mario Bros I'd rather forget about til it actually impresses me again.

Hyrule Warriors could be an interesting choice I guess.

Woops, I saw everything bug Mario Maker in your list haha. My bad then.

I am absolutely appalled that nobody has mentioned Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker HD.

Title theme music doesn't get much more relaxing than this:

I am absolutely appalled that nobody has mentioned Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker HD.

Title theme music doesn't get much more relaxing than this:

I might consider Pikmin, though I'm not buying Wind Waker HD.

Why?

Don't buy remakes if I have the original game, or have finished it.

I might consider Pikmin, though I'm not buying Wind Waker HD.

Why?

Don't buy remakes if I have the original game, or have finished it.
Well that's a stupid reason for you to say it?

What if the original video game broke or something?

I bought the remake. Never had the original. And it looks visually better than the original even though the graphics from the GameCube error still looks good today.

They had to remake the game from the ground up.

That's why most Zelda fans say it's better than the original.

And does the original allowed to play in the first person perspective?

Didn't think so? XD

Honestly cheat, I recommend going by visual styles and trailers. Most of the trailers aren't just cutscenes or minor parts and do a great job of showing how the game will play. If you like doing things to completion I recommend Hyrule warriors and its dlc. Tons of fun and loads of challenges.

Well that's a stupid reason for you to say it?

What if the original video game broke or something?

I bought the remake. Never had the original. And it looks visually better than the original even though the graphics from the GameCube error still looks good today.

They had to remake the game from the ground up.

That's why most Zelda fans say it's better than the original.

And does the original allowed to play in the first person perspective?

Didn't think so? XD
Actually it IS better then the original apparently, as they fixed/tweaked a lot of the stuff that made it obnoxious and overly time consuming in the first game, or so I've read. I never had the original, so I'm only going by what I've seen talked about. I guess the sailing is more straight forward to control and Tingle's quests don't suck as much? Something like that?

Actually it IS better then the original apparently, as they fixed/tweaked a lot of the stuff that made it obnoxious and overly time consuming in the first game, or so I've read. I never had the original, so I'm only going by what I've seen talked about. I guess the sailing is more straight forward to control and Tingle's quests don't suck as much? Something like that?
Tingle's quest have been dropped down to three charts I think, and they introduced the 'super sail' which doubles the speed of the boat. If you spam the super sail button it also boosts the boats speed a little bit more, but that sound can get pretty annoying. Both of those really speed up progression in the game and were much needed; although I, myself didn't really mind doing either.

Back