Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
I noticed things were getting sluggish for my desktop computer and programs lately. So I am heading out to bestbuy tomorrow to buy some ram for my computer to hopefully fix that.

so I am looking for suggestions on what to get and what not to get and all that good stuff.

info on my comp:

windows vista 32 bit.

it has intel and celeron and currently has 512 MB ram.

and I'm thinking of getting a 2 gb flash drive.

You need to know the type of ram and the speed of your ram currently installed on your computer's motherboard like SDRAM PC2100 , DDR 400, DDR2 5300. Also, make sure you know how many pins are on your current memory since you need to buy memory that matches your current memory pin count. If you have memory that has 184 pins, buy memory that has 184 pins. The same goes for speed of memory.

You also want to look up how much ram can 1 ram slot can handle since some motherboards can only handle 1 GB of ram while the newer motherboards can handle 2GB or ram per slot.

I recommend you use CPU-Z : http://www.cpuid.com/ to find out what type of ram you are currently using.

It also helps going to your computer manufactuer or motherboards website and look for the model you own.

If you have the instructional manuals, look in there, too for more info regarding memory.

Corsair makes http://www.corsair.com/ makes good ram, but their ram is kind of pricey.

I am currently using samsung ram : http://www.samsung.com/global/business/sem..._DDR2SDRAM.html It currently have been trouble free.

Kingston makes good ram according to the reviews I read online.

1-2GB should be good enough to make Vista run faster.

I'm using 1 GB of ram for my computer and it runs okay.

I recommend getting a flash drive that is "Readyboost ready" since those flash drives are generally faster and will work with Windows Readyboost.

SanDisk, Duracell, Kingston, Patroit, and Corsair make good flash drives.

I am currently using a Duracell 4GB, and Patroit XT 4GB both are fast enough and have plenty of space for my needs.

Yes, everything that froggyboy posts is accurate. Though I tried readyboost and I could not notice any difference what so ever. Also, just to correct you, you have an Intel Celeron processor.

alright, I went to bestbuy all they really had was memory that you had to open up your computer and insert it inside, I didn't want that. I saw one or two USB flash drives but they didn't look like what I needed.

my computer is only 2 years old so my motherboard should be able to handle 2GB. I can't figure out how many pins my memory has. so I am going to look the net for some Kingston flash drives that might work.

QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ June 20, 2009 01:08 pm) alright, I went to bestbuy all they really had was memory that you had to open up your computer and insert it inside, I didn't want that. I saw one or two USB flash drives but they didn't look like what I needed.

my computer is only 2 years old so my motherboard should be able to handle 2GB. I can't figure out how many pins my memory has. so I am going to look the net for some Kingston flash drives that might work.
...... Thats what ram is. You will have to open your computer up to insert the ram. Simple tricks are to not touch the pins. In the slot, make sure that the ram is firmly in the ram slot, but be gentle when inserting as to not damage it in any way. As for a flash drive, I recommend a SanDisk U3, I have one and I enjoy it.

It also is important to see how many empty ram slots you have on your motherboard since you want to use all your ram, and not take out your new ram to make room for your new ram.

For example, if you have 2 sticks of 256MB ram you have 512MB of ram, but if you only have 2 availiable slots. you can only install a max of 768 MB if you buy a 512MB stick of ram since you have to take out one 256 MB stick to make room for one 512MB stick.

Also, be aware that you have a limit to about 3 GiB of ram in a 32-bit operating system.

QUOTE (Stosh @ June 20, 2009 01:19 pm) QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ June 20, 2009 01:08 pm) alright, I went to bestbuy all they really had was memory that you had to open up your computer and insert it inside, I didn't want that. I saw one or two USB flash drives but they didn't look like what I needed.

...... Thats what ram is. You will have to open your computer up to insert the ram. Simple tricks are to not touch the pins. In the slot, make sure that the ram is firmly in the ram slot, but be gentle when inserting as to not damage it in any way. As for a flash drive, I recommend a SanDisk U3, I have one and I enjoy it.
dammit, I was afraid of that. I suppose I have to open my computer up to see what kind of memory stick to buy for it.

This information should be available from your computer manufactuer. You can phone or e-mail their tech support up, and I am sure they could tell you what kind of memory your specific model uses.

I find looking at ram inside a computer not very helpful since RAM sometimes look very simlar like DDR, RD RAM and SD RAM all look the same to the untrained computer owner.

A word of caution, you'll have to ground yourself by touching the power supply or wear a wrist strap to keep out static electricity while working inside the computer, otherwise it may ruin the performance of the RAM.

well I finally got around to contacting the people and this is what I got:

QUOTE Please note that eMachines T3612 Computer supports PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs (Dual Channel DDR2) Memory type, and comes installed with 512 MB (removable) of Memory. You may upgrade the Memory up to a maximum of 2.0 GB. The system has 2 sockets to install Memory, already with 512 MB (removable) standard Memory installed. For best Computer performance use the maximum amount of allowed Memory per slot for your Computer. You may purchase Memory for your computer from the link given below. Please go to the link, select your computer model and click on 'Go' for purchasing the Memory.
http://parts.emachines.com/sys_lookup.asp

after following the link I found out that I should buy eMachines 1GB DDR2 RAM Upgrade. which is this click here

so, in your opinions should I go and get that? and if I understand this right I got two slots for memory, and one is filled (with my 512MB) and one open correct?

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ June 29, 2009 11:28 pm) $50 for 1GB seem kind of expensive for DDR2 SDRAM PC2-4200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....28PC2%204200%29

You can get 1GB of ram for around $13-15 on Newegg.com.

Ask emachine if you can use non-emachine ram on your computer.

I also recommend changing your power supply since I read online on many forums that emachine power supplies are under powered and have a tendency to fry your motherboard.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7586_102-0.html?threadID=157795
oshi- You might wanna look into that. Or you might be lucky and have a voltage controller in your BIOS, though if the power supply is crappy, you might fry that along with the other stuff, so be careful.

unfortunately I can't ask any more as they want money to do that >_> but I would assume since it's ram it would work. I'll do a little more looking around before buying.

as for the power supply I do have a option on my computer saying power options. then it tells me to select a power option which I got it on high performance. is that what your talking about stosh?

No, when you restart your computer, it says like, mind you Im paraphrasing, F8 for settings, F1 for advanced, ect... Though if you aren't aware of it, it may not exist. You have had the computer for quite some time now. All that setting you did was adjust how much power vista will "use"*, I never noticed a difference.

* - Note for all legal reasoning, the word use is used very loosely.

This video should be helpful for learning about power supplies. I recommend a 400W power supply since it is good enough for most mid-end video cards, and future upgrades. You can get a good 350-400W power supply for around 40-60 dollars.

It is not recommended to upgrade your video cards, add more hard drives, ram, and other devices if your power supply is under powered or poorly made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvClS_M-09o

well I'm a little tight on money right now so I will worry about the RAM for now. But I just ordered it and I should be running on 1GB and 512MB of RAM by next Saturday.

also, I found this vid on getting it installed vid.

now just to be certain, I need no tools and I just need to be holding on a metal (tool, pipe, something made of metal) while having skin contact with the RAM?

Also try your best to hold the ram by it's green coloured edges, and not on the gold areas or the Black chip areas.

Keep the ram in the packaging or ram-bag till you are ready to install to prevent static.

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ July 06, 2009 01:36 pm) Also try your best to hold the ram by it's green coloured edges, and not on the gold areas or the Black chip areas.

Keep the ram in the packaging or ram-bag till you are ready to install to prevent static.
I'm aware to do that, but I am curious as to what I should use to best use to ground myself, any suggestions?

An anti static-strap clip to an unpainted part of your computer like case if it is unpainted will be best, but if you don't own a anti-static strap. I read touching the outside of the power supply case is best since it is usually untainted and made of metal. Touching the inside of the case also works well at grounding yourself from static.

It is also recommended to work on a floor that is not carpet since carpet can make static electricity when rubbed against your feet.

They cost about $5-10+ dollars at a computer store like Radioshack : http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2103245

Back