Writing Getting published?

Does online count? Or by a publishing company?

Oh okay. I am an actual published author. I got published and have a book for sale on Amazon. Actually, I have two books for sale on Amazon. The first book can be read right now.......the second book is available for pre-order at the moment.
Are you a published author or a self-published author?

I use KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) so most people would say I'm self published. I didn't go through a traditional publishing company for my work.

So isn't saying "I am an actual published author," a bit of a stretch? Anyone can put something out via KDP. If I upload a document to KDP, does that make me a published author too? Seems like there's a difference between self-publishing and being traditionally published. I'm not knocking your work, but there's a distinction, right?

It's like saying, "I released a track on SoundCloud, so I'm a professional musician." Sure, you've put your work out there, but that doesn’t automatically put you on the same level as someone signed to a label or making a living from their music. There’s a difference between sharing your work and being recognized in a more traditional, professional way.

So isn't saying "I am an actual published author," a bit of a stretch? Anyone can put something out via KDP. If I upload a document to KDP, does that make me a published author too? Seems like there's a difference between self-publishing and being traditionally published. I'm not knocking your work, but there's a distinction, right?

It's like saying, "I released a track on SoundCloud, so I'm a professional musician." Sure, you've put your work out there, but that doesn’t automatically put you on the same level as someone signed to a label or making a living from their music. There’s a difference between sharing your work and being recognized in a more traditional, professional way.

Whether you choose to go the self-published route or through the traditional publishing company, I don't think that make you less of an author for doing so. Christopher Paolini, when he was trying to get his first book "Eragon" out there......he ended up self publishing (with the help of his family). But a publishing company ended up stepping in by the time he wrote the second book "Eldest"......they bought the rights to publish Eragon and subsequently the rest of the Inheritance Cycle.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I'm just saying that I politely disagree. Just because someone is self-published (or maybe just starts out that way) doesn't make them any less of an author. I think getting published the traditional way is much harder than some people realize.

When J. K. Rowling was trying to get the first book published in her Harry Potter series, she went through quite a few publishing companies before she found someone that would publish the Sorcerer's Stone. Don't you know that the other people that turned her down are probably still kicking themselves to this day......?

Back