GF Future Poll 1

What forum software would you like to see GF on next year?

• IPB 4.0 (upgrade from what we have now)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Xenforo

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other software

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't like XenForo. I never have, and unless they improve it a lot, I don't think I want to use it anytime soon.

I think you should upgrade to IPB 4.0, or if you want to change to another forum script, you might want to look into Woltlab's Burning Board. It looks amazing and, in my opinion, it's quite underrated. It has responsive design, it's mobile-friendly, and it has a free chat room script called Tim's Chat, that allows members to hang out and chat in real time, like in a skype group.

alakazam said:
I don't like XenForo. I never have, and unless they improve it a lot, I don't think I want to use it anytime soon.

I think you should upgrade to IPB 4.0, or if you want to change to another forum script, you might want to look into Woltlab's Burning Board. It looks amazing and, in my opinion, it's quite underrated. It has responsive design, it's mobile-friendly, and it has a free chat room script called Tim's Chat, that allows members to hang out and chat in real time, like in a skype group.
We will be looking at our options carefully before anything is done, but first IPB 4 needs to be released to see if its something we wish to stick with.

IPB are also screwing a lot of people over with licences and making a lot of people angry, IPB 4 could be great... But we need to make sure their running the software well first, and not trying to drain money out of us like they are with others.

Demon_Skeith said:
mybb seems to be a headache to run (acp side) and there is no support for it.
Come on. That's not true :grin:
All the plugins are easy to install and mybb provides support in the community forums :grin:

Well, used MyBB and as a free alternative I liked it back then. But I gotta agree about the support forums. They are happily to ignore your plea if you made a mistake they can point out regarding the way you posted your thread or replied to it. I got more answers by asking in other communities and reading through Google than asking myself. 

Regarding the ACP, installing plugins there is easier than in Xenforo, if I recall correctly. In any case, since MyBB is free you could try running a dummy installation and see for yourself how is the ACP. So you can know what would you be dealing with. 

----

Anyway, I agree it is best to wait and see how is the update of IPB.

---

I've also heard about Woltlabs, but I have yet to see it in action so I don't know how good it is. From what I heard a lot of potential there so it might be worth to take a look at it.

I would say IPB 4, because thats what you have now. Honestly it doesnt matter what the forum software is (as long as its functional). It's mostly the community and you have IPB now so that would be the easiest decision. Of course wait a couple months at least after it is released and see how it is doing and wait for the initial bugs to get fixed.

Kasem said:
I would say IPB 4, because thats what you have now. Honestly it doesnt matter what the forum software is (as long as its functional). It's mostly the community and you have IPB now so that would be the easiest decision. Of course wait a couple months at least after it is released and see how it is doing and wait for the initial bugs to get fixed.
Well, we have IPB 3 right now. What comes down to what we choose is what both the members want and which forum software can offer the most for our members.

As for other software, mybb isn't on the table right now and I doubt I will ever look at it.

Martin said:
IPB are also screwing a lot of people over with licences and making a lot of people angry, IPB 4 could be great... But we need to make sure their running the software well first, and not trying to drain money out of us like they are with others.
I've never heard of that, I like to hear more on it.

Back