Good Idea to Replace the Power Supply when upgrading replacing computer parts on Desktop PC?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
It can be a good idea to replace the power supply on some desktop computer because most of the power supplies which come with pre-built computers, and cheap computer cases are low wattage power supplies, and the quality of the power supply is sometimes not as good as a power supply which you bought from a good brand like Cooler Master, or Antec.

Most power supplies which come with pre-built computers, and some computer cases don't have a high enough wattage to power a high performance video card, CPU, and many hard drives, RAM modules, fans, and disc drives. I think it is best to calculate how much power your computer will use, and buy a power supply which has enough power wattage to power all your parts.

Old power supplies over 5 years may also fail sooner, and may also send strong electrically shocks which can break your computer parts, so spending a little money on a newer more reliable power supply is worth it when upgrading a PC, or if your power supply is very old, and failing.

depends on what you currently have and plan to put in, I like to think all power supply on high end machines can handle anything.

depends on what you currently have and plan to put in, I like to think all power supply on high end machines can handle anything.

It can be a good idea to use a power supply tester, and voltage multimeter. It is also good to see if there is any damage to the power cables, rust on the outside metal casing, and make sure there is not a burning smells coming from a power supply before re-using it.

If the power supply is many years past its warranty, and the cables are in poor condition like the plastic covering the wiring, and the plugs are breaking, it is a good idea to replace it.

Back