Google’s Crostini lets you run GNU/Linux apps on Chromebooks without enabling developer mode

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
As we reported earlier this year, Google is developing a new Chrome OS feature called Crostini that makes it possible to run Linux apps on a Chromebook. Now it looks like you can take it for a spin… if you have a Google Pixelbook. The feature will probably roll out to additional devices in the future.

And in a Google+ post, John Bowdre showed that he was able to run the GIMP image editing program and even the Firefox web browser.

He also installed the Chromium web browser, because why the heck not?

Source

I like that it is possible to install Gimp, Firefox, and Chromium on Google Chrome.

Hopefully, Chromebooks can run Steam for Linux, and Linux games as well.

Google adding support for Linux/GNU apps to Chromebooks may convince home users, schools and workplaces buy Chromebooks instead of iPads and Windows 10 S PCs which can be more limited. Both iOS, and Windows 10 S can only run apps from the official app stores, and the boot loader and other features are locked down and hard to modify. I think all web browsers for iOS use the Safari web browser engine, and only Microsoft Edge is available for Windows 10 S.

I wonder if adding Linux app support to Chrome OS means that users can install the Linux version of WINE which let Linux users use WINE to install and run Windows programs on Chrome OS on their Chromebook.

I see they are trying to attract the linux users, but they will find it won't be that easy.

I see they are trying to attract the linux users, but they will find it won't be that easy.

I agree it won't be easy to attract Linux users. But, they may attract some beginner Linux users, and average users who are thinking of trying a few Linux compatible programs like Gimp, LibreOffice, Firefox, VLC media player and Kdenlive video editor. Schools and some work places may more likely replace their older Windows XP and Vista computers with Chromebooks if they know that they can use Linux programs like Gimp, LibreOffice, Thunderbird E-mail client, etc.

Being able to run Linux programs on a Chromebook let users use more programs than current Chromebook which can just use Chrome web browser, and use Android apps which don't always work properly on a more basic Chromebook without a touchscreen.

Back