froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
It's no secret that Google has been working on improving its apps and operating system for those using less-powerful devices or unreliable connections. It's optimized its apps to use less data and memory, but now it's expanding its focus OS-wide. At its developer conference today, Google previewed a version of something the company has been calling Android Go, and it's supposed to work well even on devices with less than 1GB of onboard memory. Google says Go will ship "as an experience" in 2018, which means manufacturers will potentially start making handsets with the lighter OS after that.

Read More

I'm surprised that there are still enough new smartphones being sold with under 1GB of RAM like smartphones with 512MB of RAM, and that Google still need to hire workers to create Android Go OS which run fast on slower phones.

Android Go sounds like a good phone OS for playing Pokemon Go, and other mobile games on slower cheap phones.

I wonder if future game consoles like the Nintendo Switch, Nvidia Shield TV, and Ouya would use Android Go as its operating system, so more system RAM, and CPU resources can be used to run games faster.

Last edited:
Good for old cell phone users, I know someone who still uses a flip phone.

Good for old cell phone users, I know someone who still uses a flip phone.

I agree Android Go would be good for old phones with slower performance.

I bet, there would be Custom Android Go ROMs which would be more lightweight because they dont come with bundled pre-installed Google apps like Google Hangouts chat which some users may never use.

I also know someone who use a flip phone.

Back