froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Earlier today Google announced that it would continue patching and updating Chrome for XP an additional year – until 2015.

Read More

Great news for people who still use Windows XP, and Google Chrome. I wonder would Firefox, Opera, and smaller browsers like Maxthon will also follow Google, and keep supporting XP for years to come.

I'm guesing, supporting XP could be one of Google's plan to try to convince people who use Windows XP to eventually switch to Google's Chrome OS on Chromebook, and Chromebox computer someday when the popularity of Chrome OS becomes more popular on $100-300 price for affordable computers like how Google Android is now the most popular operating system for phones and tablets cheaper then $200.

Good to know. XP is better than 2 of the 3 successors anyway. I'd continue supporting XP and 7 for longer than Vista and 8. Just me...

Google Chrome may still want to support Vista, and 8 since there are still many people who may upgrade to Vista or 8 when support for XP ends. Plus, Google with its many programmers and staff can easily support both Vista and 8 for many years.

Vista may see a small increase of users from XP when Microsoft ends Updates for XP on April 2014 since a lot of people who installed XP in 2008 on their Vista computer (bought from a store) still have the Windows Vista install disc, or a old Vista license from their PC they bought, so when XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, the people who have a Vista install disc and license may end up upgrading to Vista instead of 7.

Also, Windows Vista is almost as good as Windows 7 thesedays since MS and third part software companies released a lot of updates to fix problems with Vista, so there is less of a reason for people with a Vista install CD or license from their old computer to upgrade to Windows 7-8.1.

Plus, Vista just need 512MB of RAM as the RAM requirement vs 7 which needs at least 1GB of RAM for the 32Bit version of Windows 7.

Windows Vista is also cheaper to buy on eBay than Windows 7, and 8-8.1, and Vista may have more drivers for older printers, scanners, and devices which don't have a Windows 7 or 8 driver for it.

many people may buy a cheap Windows 8.1 tablet, netbook/laptop or All-inOne desktop when Windows XP support ends.

Windows 8 may be still in use for many years from now since Windows may end up not needing new versions since MS can release updates to fix problems like how MS release 8.1 to let users boot to desktop, and get the start button back. If 8.2 is release, MS may add a Startmenu to go with the Startbutton in 8.1.

Back