froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
But many Android apps require newer versions of the operating system, and soon you’ll need Android 4.0 or later if you want access to the latest version of Google Play Services.

Google says version 10.0.0 will be the last to support Android 2.3. Starting in early 2017, devices will need to be running Android 4.0.1 or later to access Play Services.

Read More

This is disappointing. I still sometimes use a very old Android tablet with Android 2.3 when I don't have access to my newer tablets which I store outside of my bedroom. But, I mostly use the Android 2.3 Tablet for watching YouTube videos on the YouTube App, and sometimes use a web browser to read stuff online.

I think Google Abandoning Android 2.3 will mostly affect very poorer people who use an older prepaid smartphone for making calls, text, and sometimes using the YouTube App.

I'm sure some online community will keep it going.

It makes sense though, operating systems and stuff like that have a support limit, its not worth them supporting them for too long and Android has come a long way since then.

I'm sure some online community will keep it going.

I agree some online communities will keep Android 2.3 going since there maybe some older smartphones, apps, and games which run best on Android 2.3.

There are also unofficial app stores, and app makers like 1Mobile, Getjar, and Amazon App store which may still continue to support Android 2.3 for many years to come.

This will really affect those who are unable to upgrade and have to stick on 2.3. It's a shame that companies do this in the end and I understand that after a while they do need to stop support to focus on giving better support to those on the latest versions but the amount of people that must suffer because of that must be high.

Back