Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

Google is shutting down its video game streaming service, Stadia, on January 18th, 2023, the company announced today. All purchases will be refunded and the technology will still be used for YouTube and other parts of its business, but the consumer-facing app and storefront will be shuttered for good less than five years after it launched, joining the graveyard of other projects Google has abandoned.

“And while Stadia’s approach to streaming games for consumers was built on a strong technology foundation, it hasn’t gained the traction with users that we expected so we’ve made the difficult decision to begin winding down our Stadia streaming service,” Stadia VP Phil Harrison wrote in a blog post. “We’re grateful to the dedicated Stadia players that have been with us from the start. We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. Players will continue to have access to their games library and play through January 18, 2023 so they can complete final play sessions.”

For Gaming Latest, we will shutter all Stadia focused tags/boards in the near near future.

I need to find my old post predicting this lmao. It's somewhere on GL. Although, it wasn't that brave of a prediction, Google loves shutting things down

I need to find my old post predicting this lmao. It's somewhere on GL. Although, it wasn't that brave of a prediction, Google loves shutting things down

I still remember their reveal conference and laughing my butt off at what they were attempting, called it then and I called it now. It didn't last.

Nice of them to refund the money for a service that failed. Might give them a better stock market number.

lol To be expected.

It is nice of Google to offer refunds on games, and allow people to continue playing the games until January 28, 2023. It is good to hear that Stadia's tech will be used on YouTube and other parts of Google.

I feel there are a lot of game streaming services to choose from, so users are more likely to choose Xbox xCloud, Playstation Now, and Nvidia Now cloud streaming because they are more known for gaming.

This is not a surprise. I am glad Google has recognized its failure and offered to refund all its buyers. This has been a long time coming.

Makes me extremely sad because cloud gaming was the future of gaming because u could even take the game on the road

Salvage Plans, read from VGC:

On Friday, Ubisoft confirmed on social media that it’s “working to bring the games you own on Stadia to PC” through its Ubisoft Connect platform. “We’ll have more to share regarding specific details as well as the impact for Ubisoft+ subscribers at a later date.”

Meanwhile, Bungie has posted on its support forums that it’s “begun conversations” about next steps for Destiny 2 players on Stadia. “We will announce and send out information regarding Destiny 2 Stadia accounts once we have a plan of action,” it said.

Finally, Hitman developer IO Interactive said it was also looking into the possibility of salvaging player accounts from Stadia.

“To all our HITMAN fans on Google Stadia. We hear you – we are looking into ways for you to continue your HITMAN experience on other platforms,” it said.

Read from CBR and PC gamer that google kept Devs in the dark on the shutdown:

A handful of game developers have said that Google did not warn them of Stadia's impending shutdown before going public with its closure announcement.

According to PC Gamer, several developers with titles on or coming soon to Google's game streaming platform learned about its closure from news articles online. The company apparently made no effort to contact developers who would be affected by the shutdown before releasing the statement announcing Stadia's demise. One of those developers, Tom Vian of SFB Games, whose game Tangle Towers will launch on Stadia on Oct. 2, said he first saw news of the shutdown on Twitter. Another developer, Mike Rose of No More Robots, shared that they too will launch a game on Stadia in November and publicly fretted about whether Google would pay the studio for its work.

Read from CBR and PC gamer that google kept Devs in the dark on the shutdown:

A handful of game developers have said that Google did not warn them of Stadia's impending shutdown before going public with its closure announcement.

According to PC Gamer, several developers with titles on or coming soon to Google's game streaming platform learned about its closure from news articles online. The company apparently made no effort to contact developers who would be affected by the shutdown before releasing the statement announcing Stadia's demise. One of those developers, Tom Vian of SFB Games, whose game Tangle Towers will launch on Stadia on Oct. 2, said he first saw news of the shutdown on Twitter. Another developer, Mike Rose of No More Robots, shared that they too will launch a game on Stadia in November and publicly fretted about whether Google would pay the studio for its work.
So rude. I hope they use Bing and Microsoft products instead of Chrome and Google services now. They really don't deserve any respect for that.

Wonder how long will Amazon's Luna stay alive.

Back