Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
It goes without saying that between Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and Steam, there really isn't much room for much else in the gaming world. Google ignores this and has announced their own gaming setup, Stadia.

To ensure it gets games right off from the start, Google has also created its own 1st party game studio, Stadia Games and Entertainment being led by Jade Raymond. Google plans to support their new service with 3rd party support from Ubisoft and id Software which plan to bring Assassins Creed and Doom which should run on full 4K and 60fps on the Stadia service.

Stadia is not a console but a service that will run on any device that supports Google Chrome and will use a type of streaming ability to bring you the games via Google's data centers. If you like a special controller for these, Google will release a Stadia controller that will connect through wifi to play the games:

During the address, Google claimed Stadia runs at 10.7 GPU teraflops using a single GPU while the PS4 Pro runs at 4.2 GPU teraflops and the Xbox One X runs at 6.0 GPU Teraflops.
The claim that Stadia runs with 10.7 GPU teraflops is when working with a single GPU. However, using multiple GPUs, Google claims Stadia can run even faster, making computing-intensive tasks like water simulation much easier, and more realistic. This power, of course, is dependent on players having a super-fast internet connection.

Google also claimed it is aiming to make games playable on Stadia fully cross-platform compatible. Phil Harrison, VP of Google, said during the keynote “As a new-generation game platform, Stadia will of course embrace full cross-platform play. Developers will have the ability to enable cross-platform multiplayer for all players and even bring game saves and progression across as well."

Google plans on launching the streaming service sometime this year for U.S., Canada, UK, and Europe first with the service supporting 4K at 60 fps for both playing games and sharing game streams, with goals of eventually supporting 8K and 120+ fps.

Will you be buying this service?

I bet it ends up like the OUYA. People talk about it for a while, then it just kind of dies off and no one will even remember it.

They can talk specs all day long, but they need excellent exclusive games if they want to succeed, without it it's just another gaming computer.

I give Stadia a try if there is a free trial, or free version which is supported by ads like YouTube.

I feel if the subscription cost a few dollars a month fir unlimited gaming, some users will pay a few dollars per month to play games which sometimes cost $60. Stadia can be good for paid MMORPG games like World of Warcraft where you need to pay to play an MMO game.

Pricing is my one question too. I think this is the future of gaming, and think all the other plays will take a step in this direction relatively soon also. But the pricing is what will make or break this sort of thing, in Google's case it also needs to be attractive enough to the developers to bother putting it on there also.

The idea is great. I would also love to try out a free trial if there is one at the beginning. The one issue for me will, of course, be how much it is. From what I've read, it seems they might go for a price per 20 hours or something like that which would completely put me off.

I feel Stadia may also work if it was set up like an online Arcade or PC Gaming Cafe where gamers pay a dollar or less for playing a game until the player loses the game or pay a few dollars to rent the game for a few days like game rentals from Redbox.

Stadia pricing can also be free to play/freemium for some games like many PC games like Dota 2, League of Legends, Fortnite, etc where people can play for free, but DLC, mods, expansion packs, characters, and in-game items like weapons cost real money to buy.

Google can also make a feature for gamers to donate or crowdfund like Kickstarter/Indiegogo money to individual game makers to help the game maker make games, and add features to existing games. Crowdfunding is also a good way to promote a game since video game sites will write new blog posts about crowdfunded games which manage to get many pledges for thousands to millions of dollars.

Pricing is my one question too. I think this is the future of gaming, and think all the other plays will take a step in this direction relatively soon also. But the pricing is what will make or break this sort of thing, in Google's case it also needs to be attractive enough to the developers to bother putting it on there also.
Completely agreed. Can't wait for more information to keep coming out.

Back