Guide Writing and Reading Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenDan

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
This is the Guides board! As you might've guessed, members can post all kinds of guides to all kinds of games to help out others! It's one big help-a-thon, and one that you can easily be a part!

Of course, there are some basic guidelines that we'd appreciate if you follow, so without further ado, here's the main topic of information for this board!

What Guides Can I Write?
If you're asking this question (or reading it), it means you are interested in writing a guide! You can write a guide for any game from any system here (excluding any games that would violate our guidelines regarding illegal/explicit content).

You'll be happy to hear there are quite a few guides you can write for us, not just one! These are:
  • Walkthroughs
  • Strategy Guides
  • Speciality Guides
Let's see what kind of guides these are:

Walkthroughs
Walkthroughs are the most recognisable form of guide. They essentially walk you through a game. If you're posting a walkthrough, you have a few things to consider. Will it be a full walkthrough or a certain section or mode? Either is fine, but we expect that if it's a section walkthrough, it's because that section is notoriously hard, or is so detailed that it deserves it's own walkthrough.

If you're posting a walkthrough for something like World 2-3 of New Super Mario Bros., though it might be useful, it will be a little odd and lacking and will likely not be approved. A walkthrough for the whole or World 2? That will have a better chance of being approved.

Strategy Guides
These are always fun and generally easier to write. Strategy guides can include stat comparison of weapons/vehicles/items in a game, or how to unlock all of the characters in a game.

Strategy guides can be a lot smaller than walkthroughs but that doesn't mean they aren't useful. Just be sure you are giving enough information when it comes to what you're talking about and be as clear as possible.

Strategy guides that are too small (e.g. how to unlock just one character) will likely not be approved.

Speciality Guides
These are really guides that are a mixture of walkthroughs and strategy guides. It's a lot better to just give examples than explain, so a speciality guide could be:
  • How to master Yoshi in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • How to "snake" in Mario Kart DS
  • How to collect a lot of coins in New Super Mario Bros. 2
There is no restriction to what you can write about, but we expect that you are detailed, clear and give easy to understand instructions with whatever it is you are talking about.

What Should I Avoid?
There isn't much to avoid, but here are some general expectations:
  • Make members aware of spoilers if any! Use spoiler tags, or a large heading at the top of your guide, depending on the amount of spoilers
  • Be clear! Make your instructions easy to understand and use pictures if you can!
  • Format your guide! Use big headings and space text into sections rather than clumping it into one paragraph

What Should The Topic Title Be?
Whatever your guide is about. If it's a walkthrough for New Super Mario Bros. 2, write: "New Super Mario Bros. 2 Walkthrough".

If it's a guide on how to master Ness in Brawl, write "Mastering Ness in Super Smash Bros. Brawl"

I'm A Member Reading A Guide: What About Me?
As a member reading a guide, you should respect the author of the guide. If they have made a mistake, don't argue with them. Politely correct them. If they argue back, tell a staff member what's happened.

If you like a guide, comment on it and say thanks! It means a lot to get good feedback!

If you disliked a guide, be polite. Yes, you have the right to free speech, but if you go on your high horse and act all "This guide is stupid", you'll look mean and unfriendly and I'll personally toilet paper your house (okay, maybe not, but still, no hating!).

If you want to ask questions about a guide, do so in the guide topic, or send the author a PM. Either way is fine!

There really isn't much else to guide writing than this. If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll answer them, and even ammend this topic to reflect any points discussed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back