froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Police in Detroit are looking for two suspects who allegedly managed to hack a gas pump and steal over 600 gallons of gasoline, valued at about $1,800. The theft took place in the middle of the day and went on for about 90 minutes, with the gas station attendant unable to thwart the hackers.

Here’s what is known about the supposed hack: Per Fox 2 Detroit, the thieves used some sort of remote device that allowed them to hijack the pump and take control away from the gas station employee. Police confirmed to the local publication that the device prevented the clerk from using the gas station’s system to shut off the individual pump.

https://gizmodo.com/hackers-reportedly-stole-600-gallons-of-gas-from-detroi-1827433411

It is dangerous to have a lot of gas in the back of a car or truck. Hopefully, the theives don't get into a car accident or a high speed police chase which may cause the gas to leak out of the car and catch on fire.

This wouldn't have happened if gas stations still hire gas pump attendants who pump gas into people's car. It is also safer for a trained professional to pump gas because some gas buyers smoke cigarettes, use electronic devices, and may play with a lighter while pumping their own gas.

Damn, but again this is why you don't make all devices wifi capable. I'm also baffled at how slow the attendant called in police.

Damn, but again this is why you don't make all devices wifi capable. I'm also baffled at how slow the attendant called in police.

The robber may of used a wired USB device which uses a USB cable to connect to the gas pump. Most gas pumps have credit card readers where the card reader may connect to the gas pump computer with a USB port. Some gas pumps also have tap to pay for paying with a smartphone or credit card with tap to pay, so the hackers may of hacked the gas pump with a tap to pay hacking device.

Some workers who work at gas stations don't have a lot of work experience or common sense since many workers work at a gas station as their first adult job. The attendant may of got scared, and decided to hide, and hope the robbers does not also rob the cash register, ATM machines, and products like paper towels on sale at the gas station.

One question: how is one able to steal something physical through programming (because real meaning of "hacking")?
Bonus question, and maybe even more important: how much is 600 gallons in litre?

One question: how is one able to steal something physical through programming (because real meaning of "hacking")?
Bonus question, and maybe even more important: how much is 600 gallons in litre?

The robber used a device to hack the computer which controls the gas pump and gas shutoff controls inside of the gas station, so the gas attendant no longer can use the shutoff gas controls inside the station to stop the robber from pumping 600 gallons of gas out of the pump, and into a container.

600 gallons is 2271.25 Litres .

1 Gallon is 3.78541 Litres.

Just wow.
Not money but seriously gas? That's just....weird...but I guess that would be quite a ridiculous amount too.

Just wow.
Not money but seriously gas? That's just....weird...but I guess that would be quite a ridiculous amount too.
With gas you can just wait for its value to go up and then sell at even higher price.
Or you can sell it to people in countries with a more powerful currency.
Or you can just put it in your own car.

Money doesn't have these options. (´・ω・`)

Gas for the win!

With gas you can just wait for its value to go up and then sell at even higher price.
Or you can sell it to people in countries with a more powerful currency.
Or you can just put it in your own car.

Money doesn't have these options. (´・ω・`)

Gas can also be used in a gas electric generators to sell electricity to people who need electricity to charge their electric car, or laptop, and maybe more likely to pay slightly more money for electricity from a gas electric generator because they are camping in the forest or dessert which does not usually have electrical outlets.

It also can be more difficult or impossible for the police to prove that a gas robber stole gas by testing the gas.

But, it is easier to prove that a robber is spending stolen money, or have stolen goods like a laptop which can have custom serial numbers, barcode, and RFID chips which can make it easier for the police to find out where the stolen money or laptop came from after comparing the serial number, barcode, and using an RFID scanner to read the few Kilobytes of tracking and product data stored on the RFID chip.

RFID tags don't need battery power to work, and can be powered by radio waves from a RFID reader which can read some RFID chips with beam-steerable phased-array antennae from 600 feet away.

RFID chips can be also very small in size, and not very noticeable when it is glued on a piece of paper or coin.

Last edited:
Im from Michigan and never heard about this, I was going to say it had to have been cars lining up, most likely all their buddies, as if I saw someone pull up with a big tank of some kind I would be suspicious.

I worked for a convenience store many years ago, and had 3 different times people filling up and taking off. 2 were when it was dark out, they would wait till I got really busy with customers inside and take off quick. I felt horrible! None were anymore then $20.00-$30.00

I cant imagine that poor station attendant, with that amount!!

Im from Michigan and never heard about this, I was going to say it had to have been cars lining up, most likely all their buddies, as if I saw someone pull up with a big tank of some kind I would be suspicious.

I worked for a convenience store many years ago, and had 3 different times people filling up and taking off. 2 were when it was dark out, they would wait till I got really busy with customers inside and take off quick. I felt horrible! None were anymore then $20.00-$30.00

I cant imagine that poor station attendant, with that amount!!
The convenient store was next to a gas station?
What was the relation of the conbini and the gas station?

Back