froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Half of all U.S. smartphone users download zero apps per month, according to comScore’s latest mobile app report.

Read More

I wonder if the survey includes App updates for new versions of an app or game and does this survey include games, web apps, and interactive ebooks which could be considered apps because they do stuff like apps.

I download a few apps and games a month because sometimes apps I use don't work well after a recent app update, or I find a better app for doing something better than an app which I previously used.

I rarely download anything on my phone, I think my last app download was two months ago.

Half of all U.S. smartphone users download zero apps per month, according to comScore’s latest mobile app report.

Read More

I wonder if the survey includes App updates for new versions of an app or game and does this survey include games, web apps, and interactive ebooks which could be considered apps because they do stuff like apps.

I download a few apps and games a month because sometimes apps I use don't work well after a recent app update, or I find a better app for doing something better than an app which I previously used.

If half download zero apps, what does the other half download?

Not sure why people are surprised. The vast majority of smartphone users just use their phones to well... call people or send text messages. Or at most, download a few basic apps at the start (like Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, etc) and then stick with those for till the phone dies.

Not sure why people are surprised. The vast majority of smartphone users just use their phones to well... call people or send text messages. Or at most, download a few basic apps at the start (like Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, etc) and then stick with those for till the phone dies.

True, there are a lot of users who mainly use their phones for calling, text, and basic apps like Twitter, Facebook, and WhatsApp.

To be fair, most people who are surprised by this report maybe tech-savvy users like gamers, app makers, Tech workers, and some teenagers who own a better smartphone like iPhone 6S, Samsung Galaxy S7, and similar phone with more storage, a faster processor, and better specs where users are more likely to install more apps and games per month, and maybe huge fans of certain apps like Flipboard news reader, and game apps like Pokemon Go and Gangster Vegas.

A large percentage of smartphone users also use older, slower, and cheaper smartphones like the iPhone 4S and cheaper smartphones like the Motorola Moto E which can't store many apps and games on the 8GB of onboard storage if you regularly download and install many apps, and games on your smartphone every month, and don't uninstall apps to free up space.

Some workplaces, and parents also don't allow users to install apps, and games on their work phones because of chances of a virus from an app infecting their smartphone's operating systems, and files. There are also a lot of apps and games with a lot of permissions which allow users to read text, listen to the mic, and access the operating system which may cause a lot of workplaces, and parents to not allow users to install apps, and games because of permissions which can open up your phone to being hacked, or monitored by someone.

I don't really download anything either. Originally, there were 3 other people on the same plan as me so I got in the habit of not downloading anything because we don't have that much data on our plan and there are other people using it as well. Well, one line is now gone. That person had moved and once their contract was up, they switched to another cell phone service that would work where they currently live now. There is a second line that is fixing to be gone. That person is using an old phone that isn't a smart phone and we've been given a letter saying that line will be dead by the end of the year. So it's fixing to be just my line and my hubby's line on the plan.

I don't really download anything either. Originally, there were 3 other people on the same plan as me so I got in the habit of not downloading anything because we don't have that much data on our plan and there are other people using it as well. Well, one line is now gone. That person had moved and once their contract was up, they switched to another cell phone service that would work where they currently live now. There is a second line that is fixing to be gone. That person is using an old phone that isn't a smart phone and we've been given a letter saying that line will be dead by the end of the year. So it's fixing to be just my line and my hubby's line on the plan.

Do you use Wi-Fi to download apps, games, files, and browse the web?

I think the low data limits of 1GB or less per month make users not want to browse the web or download apps because they go over their data limit very quickly.

Do you use Wi-Fi to download apps, games, files, and browse the web?

I think the low data limits of 1GB or less per month make users not want to browse the web or download apps because they go over their data limit very quickly.

If there is something that I want to download, I'll wait till I get home to do it because I can use the Wi-Fi at home. If I'm not at home, then I don't download anything because our data limit is so low. Plus, there were so many people on our plan to begin with that I didn't dare to try to download anything and I got in that habit.

I think that once you have the basics on your phone that you need in terms of apps you never really tend to bother to download too many more. I usually have Facebook, Messenger, Viber and my online banking app on my mobile phone and that is it, anything else such as games I will download onto my tablet instead of my smartphone.

I'd get lots of apps but my phone has no space left. I need an SD card. :grin:

I'd get lots of apps but my phone has no space left. I need an SD card. :grin:

I agree, having very little storage is preventing many people from downloading apps. Plus, those smartphones with 128-256GB of storage are very expensive.

Bigger storage size MicroSD cards are sometimes expensive unless they are on sale.

I'm planning on getting probably a 32GB or 64GB. They are pretty cheap!

I'm planning on getting probably a 32GB or 64GB. They are pretty cheap!

I think 64GB is usually a good card size for people who don't want to spend over $20-30 on a MicroSD card, but want enough storage to store larger files, apps, and games.

It maybe worth it to wait for the price of 128GB cards to come down in price when 256-500 GB cards become more popular.

I remember in the past, 2 GB and 4 GB cards were very expensive, and now they cost only a few dollars, so eventually 128GB cards will come down in price.

I found a 64GB microSD card for $20 and a 32GB for $10. Prolly get the 32GB and see how that goes! :)

Hell yeah. I think I'll get the 32GB one. That's plenty for app updates and pictures.

Hell yeah. I think I'll get the 32GB one. That's plenty for app updates and pictures.

I agree, adding an extra 32GB would be enough for app updates and pictures. But, some bigger games like Grand Theft Auto , and Final Fantasy series of mobile games can use up a lot of space, but there are not a lot of high quality huge mobile games on the App store, so 32GB should be enough unless you play a lot of huge mobile games.

Back