Has the Playstation 4 definitely won this generation?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
It's currently the highest selling system by far (I remember it being around the 40 or 50 million mark at some point).

But is it now unbeatable? Or is there a chance that either Microsoft or Nintendo could turn things around and win this generation by some surprise fluke?

PS4 is a little over 22 million sold and the Xbox One is sitting somewhere between 10-12 million. The PS4 has a pretty demanding lead and is somehow thriving with hardly any noteworthy exclusives. This holiday season will be interesting though. Xbox One has some heavy hitters coming with Halo 5 and the new Tomb Raider. Sony doesn't have any real response at this time due to Uncharted 4 getting pushed back to 2016.

I'm eagerly anticipating December for my PS4 not just for FF15 (which will be on XB1 as well) but for the PS4 exclusive Dragon Quest Heroes - a Dynasty Warriors style Dragon Quest with all of the elements from both franchises INCLUDING the Dragon Quest Monsters series' ability to capture and summon monsters to battle along with you! Disgaea 5 should also be making its way off the shores of Japan at some near future point, so I am hoping that sees release by December as well. Been watching both via Playstation's live stream app. Still curious as to whether Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus for PS4 well hit USA considering it is on Vita here already.

As for exclusives that are noteworthy, at this time I'd say Omega Quintet. I own it and it is phenomenal. It has that old-school JRPG feel to it with a lot of customization for cosmetic use only, and no real major problems - until you play it on Advanced and Intermediate difficulties. Those difficulties add a feature called Over Break which basically makes the game go "enemies can Over Break at will and as many times as they want, which lets them cut into your turn and act then with over-powered stats. they WILL OHKO your entire party more often than not, regardless as to level or your stats and gear". It is the most retarded concept I've ever seen in an RPG and I've played a LOT of bad RPGs.

The only other noteworthy exclusive I can think of is The Order: 1886. Have yet to play it, but it IS on my "to do" list.

I doubt Sony will lose the lead at all, or if they do it won't be for very long, I should say. I mean, once Project Nebula (I think it is called) is in beta and finally launched the console will see a massive increase in buyers. For those of whom do not know what I am speaking of, Project Nebula is the next-gen PS Home and is being created by Kovok; a developer from PS Home. The kickstarter passed a month or so ago and production has now begun.

I've never heard of Omega Quintet, I'll have to check it out when I get a PS4. The only noteworthy exclusive I can think of is Bloodborne. The Order looks interesting but reviewers slammed it. I'd probably still get.

It definitely helped that Sony was $100 less expensive than the Xbox One. I think if Microsoft evened out the playing field and didn't require people to buy the kinect with the console then they would have been able to sell a lot more units. I don't think Nintendo is ever going to get to the same level unless they come up with something new and innovative that Microsoft or Sony cannot offer. I heard they were going more towards the mobile game route so I don't see them strongly running alongside Playstation or Xbox.

So far they are remaining strong, though Xbox one might take the crown at the end of the cycle, just depends if Sony can keep the greatness up.
Sony already lost this cycle the moment MS announced backward compatibility and Son'y response was "We're giving up on backward compatibility" when they had been promising it until that exact moment. Like everyone I know is moving to the Elite now.

Lol, people are so obsessed with one console 'winning' over the other. I'm sure sales will even out as things go on. PS4 has saturated a great deal of the market, so the sales are unlikely to continue their indefinite skyrocketing as they run lower on new people to sell to, and Xbox One sales are only going to go up now that they've dropped their prices to be more comparable and people who traditionally own ALL the consoles are going to be interested in buying their second. I think it's kind of silly to insist one console has 'won' over the other. I'm sure Microsoft will immediately start touting how they're stabbing back at the PS4, when really, of course sales are going to even out as time goes on.

As for Xbox One getting backwards compatability, that doesn't seem to be that big a selling point with those consoles anymore. It should definitely encourage more people who are still using a 360 to upgrade though, so that's good, but I have a hard time imagining a bunch of people are going to jump other consoles ships just to purchase a several hundred dollar Xbox One to play old games on. I see it more as a move to boost sales within their fanbase rather then snag those who dove over to Playstation off the bat.

As for Xbox One getting backwards compatability, that doesn't seem to be that big a selling point with those consoles anymore. It should definitely encourage more people who are still using a 360 to upgrade though, so that's good, but I have a hard time imagining a bunch of people are going to jump other consoles ships just to purchase a several hundred dollar Xbox One to play old games on. I see it more as a move to boost sales within their fanbase rather then snag those who dove over to Playstation off the bat.

Almost all of my friends who were getting PS4s or already have em have gotten Xbox Ones instead solely because of the backward compatibility. I'm talking at LEAST 20 some odd people.

Almost all of my friends who were getting PS4s or already have em have gotten Xbox Ones instead solely because of the backward compatibility. I'm talking at LEAST 20 some odd people.
Well, good for them then? I still wouldn't buy an xbox one just because I could play old xbox games, nor know anyone else who would. But then, I wouldn't buy xbox anyway because none of their exclusive appeal to me, or not enough to warrant buying a whole console for it, new or old. Sounds like they just like Xbox's games lineup better, and probably should have bought one in the first place, rather then considering a Playstation.

Well, good for them then? I still wouldn't buy an xbox one just because I could play old xbox games, nor know anyone else who would. But then, I wouldn't buy xbox anyway because none of their exclusive appeal to me, or not enough to warrant buying a whole console for it, new or old. Sounds like they just like Xbox's games lineup better, and probably should have bought one in the first place.
It adds to the library having the backward compatibility that utilizes the twitch and other features of the Xbox One, I think that's why. As for exclusives... what sony has got at the moment that isn't a remake makes me agree with you. Disgaea 5 and DQ:H make me very pleased I went with Sony. ESO is great fun as well and I'm looking forward to the Sword Coast AD&D games' expansion Demon's Rage. Only thing MS has atm for me is Tomb Raider. Still saddened Konami pulled the plug on Silent Hills when it was already done and just needed editing and debugging, mainly. :/

Sony already lost this cycle the moment MS announced backward compatibility and Son'y response was "We're giving up on backward compatibility" when they had been promising it until that exact moment. Like everyone I know is moving to the Elite now.

that is a strong selling point, but not a console winner. Though the more successful it is for MS, the more likely Sony is to follow suit.

that is a strong selling point, but not a console winner. Though the more successful it is for MS, the more likely Sony is to follow suit.
I don't agree with that last part. Sony doesn't know how to run a business properly. the last gen one of their reasons MS sold so much better was gold membership added bandwidth, thus reducing lag and crashes in online games. When Sony saw membership from MS was doing well they made Plus but failed to add the key bandwidth to their horrible server structures. They also declared on launch of the PS3 that third party devs wouldn't be able to utilize the full potential of the console until the end of the system's life. Thus, the result was and still is a console that had superior hardware and never really got to use it, making 360's games run smoother and graphically superior. People want backward compatibility... Sony makes PS Now and charges outrageous prices to rent the games - even ones we already own digitally. You seeing the trend yet? MS listens to the fans - their target audience. Sony only cares about a quick buck. They are like an in-between of Konami and Nintendo as far as how they run things.

BC is a stronger selling point at the beginning of a new generation when new games are scarce. I don't think it will help the XB1 overtake the PS4.

The PS4 has definitely won this generation of consoles in my opinion and I have my own reason as to why. The PS4 is an excellent gaming console, having some of the best features and apps for gamers, not to mention the brilliant graphics on its awesome games. The Xbox One is more of an entertainment console than a gaming one. Don't get me wrong, the features of the Xbox One are great and will be exceptionally handy for those who watch a lot of TV/Movies, but sadly that doesn't compete well with the gaming side of the PS4.

Sony just won by default. Micro$oft shot themselves in the foot with the Xbone. There isn't much else that's within the mainstream companies anymore.

Back