Has Xbox dropped in popularity?

Kat66!

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I used to see advertising for Xbox all over and now I don't believe I've seen anything in a couple years. Has it dropped in popularity? Or am I just not looking in the right places for their ads? How many of your friends still play games on that platform?

I think it's popular, with its core fans, but can't seem to get a more general audience.

I haven't seen many ads for Xbox Series X or S. I think it is popular with American Xbox fans, but there are not many new Xbox fans.

I know two people who own an Xbox so clearly if you want a Murica-owned console I might take a stab at that one.

I have a Series S which I bought to play with my boy - I think it’s been switched on twice. I always intend to play and I always find something else to do instead. I guess I’m just used to PC gaming these days.

If anything with the recent Bethesda leaks, there's probably going to be some loyalists/fans of certain IPs that will buy a brand new console to play the latest stuff so they don't have to deal with a getting a brand-new PC just to play new games.

I feel some people with faster internet connections may play games on Xbox Cloud game streaming service and Nvidia Geforce Now game streaming service.

People who play streaming PC games may less likely buy a Xbox if they are satisfied with streaming games.

They still seem super popular and seem to just barely trail PlayStation in sales each month, but I feel like they don't have much to advertise. Starfield appears to be their first major first-party success in what feels like a decade that is worth advertising.

I feel some people may buy Xbox to mainly use as a Blu-ray player, player to play video and music stored on a hard drive, or use to stream Netflix, YouTube, etc and occassionally using to play games.

The Xbox Series X is compatible with many older Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One disc games, so people who have a lot of older Xbox Disc games may buy a Xbox Series X to play older disc games and a few newer Xbox Series X games.

Most people I know still have an Xbox one X, or S. Nobody bought the "Series," because nobody can really tell the difference at this point. All the games look the same.

This was a tramendous marketing failure. The only exclusive they had banking on the release of the Series was Halo Infinite, and literally nothing else. Forza Horizon was on PC, Forza 7 was already released on PC, almost no exclusives... I swear, I follow gaming news as a news writer, and even I didn't know it was released when it came out.

Absolutely nothing sets the Xbox Series apart from the Xbox One X in the eyes of the average consumer, because Microsoft is still thinking like a hardware company, instead of a software company. Killer apps are what makes -or breaks- a console, or platform. Nobody cares about 4k.

Apple's Mac has survived almost 40 years in the market, dwarfed by the Windows PC, because Apple cornered a niche market. Apple secured the creative markets like graphic design and music. Playstation cornered the market for JRPGs and Fighting games, and now that's what they're known for. Xbox was the FPS console, and they proudly surrendered their status with the Xbox Play Anywhere™ initiative back in 2016. The Xbox has no market dominance because the Xbox HAS NO MARKET!

People have realised that the PS5 is the superior console. If you really want a Xbox, just get a PC. It’s the same thing but better.

I think the decline is intentional. As I said in another thread, I believe Microsoft is looking at making Xbox-as-a-service their primary means of gaming revenue, so console development and sales won't matter to them as they move everything to a Steam-like platform. They won't need console sales if their in-built market is every PC and former competitive console on the market. They're buying up studios to make their platform the preferred choice for buying, and IMO it makes sense for them. No more hardware overheads, just like the Windows platform.

I think Microsoft may rely more on Xbox for earnimg money and being a household name with consumers if Microsoft Surface tablets and computers, Windows Operating system and online services like Bing Search and One Drive becomes less popular.

I believe game pass is finally coming together as a major thing. I heard they crushed their profit goals last quarter and with Call of Duty going on Game Pass, the competitive might want to worry a bit.

I still play mine from time to time... maybe once a month. haha

Back