Have You Ever Fixed a Router Modem Hardware Before?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
No, I have never physically fixed a router, or modems hardware before because modems and routers can be very difficult to fix because most parts are physically stuck on a circuit board, and the parts maybe difficult to buy unless you use eBay to search for a part, and you know the name of the part you are searching for. Plus, replacing broken parts inside a router or modem is hard to do for people who don't have any training in electronic repair.

Only thing I've done to fix one is power cycle it.

Only thing I've done to fix one is power cycle it.

Same. I mostly power cycle routers.

I think replacing the powerbrick for home router's and modem is easy as well because most of them seem to uses powerbricks with a round plug which you can sometimes find at Radioshack.

eBay sometimes sells replacement powerbricks for stuff like routers and laptops.

I've never fixed a router/modem before. Never had anything ever go with wrong them. Even if so, for something like that it'd just be easier going out any buying a new one. Not worth trying to fix, and it's probably time for an upgrade too if it needs fixing.

I've never fixed a router/modem before. Never had anything ever go with wrong them. Even if so, for something like that it'd just be easier going out any buying a new one. Not worth trying to fix, and it's probably time for an upgrade too if it needs fixing.

I think for simple repairs like replacing a broken or bent external antennae, or broken power adapter brick and cable can be worth it since antennae and power adapters and cables are cheap and easy to replace in most cases.

Sometimes, if your router or modem overheats a lot, installing a cooling fan, or passive heatsinks on the internal chips is affordable, and easy as well.

But, replacing a router and modem would be easier, and more worth it.

But, if your router cost many hundreds of dollars, and is not very old, it maybe worth it to repair your router by hiring someone, or learning to fix it yourself by searching the internet for router repair tutorials.

Nope, It seems that it never dies on me, even an very old device that I used at school went on forever. Yet after 5 years we all tend to upgrade and by an newer one

Nope, It seems that it never dies on me, even an very old device that I used at school went on forever. Yet after 5 years we all tend to upgrade and by an newer one

I agree routers and modems seem pretty durable these days. But, I had an older cheap router which disconnect its wireless signal on a daily, or every few hours, and need to be restarted.

Newer routers and modem combo from my ISP and a router which I got a few years ago seems to rarely disconnect its wireless signal after I install them in my home.

Back