Healthy Gaming

Elly

Awards
Credits
So, there's a topic or two on these forums that highlight some extreme gaming that may or may not have caused but were definitely a part of some life-threatening health effects.

What do you do to keep healthy? Is there anything that game designers or developers can do?

For the latter, I can only think of one, and this probably only applies to RPG's: Split it up into chapters. Even if you do away with save points, levels, or loading screens... I consider Persona 4 an addictive game. I dating sim part is fun, the dungeon trawling is fun, I love the characters, was intrigued by the plot, and I could play it and re-play it over and over and over and over and over again. But I think one think that meant I wouldn't pass out over it, was that the story was split up into beats. As much as I loved it, the story would reach a crescendo and downtime and cued me emotionally for this to be okay to rest now.

On the players' side, the first concern is: Is the rest of real life so horrible that you've got to game into the ground? If yes... well, easier said than done, but don't escape. Face life, improve life, and when you get back to gaming, you'll enjoy both life and gaming even more.

Other times, it's just fun to marathon and can be perfectly healthy, but only if you plan ahead with keeping properly hydrated and nourished with solid food (and when nature calls, don't hold it in. Most games have pause buttons even for cutscenes now.) I actually can't think of any food and drink right now that's easy to keep on hand, quick-cook or instant, won't go bad if left alone for a few hours, and won't have particularly adverse health effects if you eat nothing but that for two days straight so opening this thread for suggestions! I'm all for just bottled water and trail mix or granola bars.

I do game a lot, but I also have a job.  It's only part time, but it gets me out of the house.  I also walk to work now to make up for my lifestyle of mainly staying at home during the day.  I  like to try to stay on a healthy diet, but I'm doing pretty crap with that at the moment.  I do like cooking, but I don't feel comfortable sharing the kitchen in the current house I'm in. 

Game developers have tried to help with that sort of thing. Have you ever gotten a message on a game that warns that you should probably take a break after some time of play? Most people just ignore it and continue, however.

Like Sardonic Pickle, I also enjoy cooking. Baking, too. And I try to have a healthy diet, although sometimes I do lose track of time when I'm on a roll. :) I'm still looking for a good, honest job, and I plan to go back to school a bit and better myself, even though real life can be scary and is full of angry, uncaring people.

It's sad when people don't take care of themselves while having fun, but it is worse, in my opinion, to get so into your games that you forget to take care of those dependent on you who cannot care for themselves, like babies and pets.

I try to limit myself to an hour straight, then I get up have coffee or something with the wife. Give it about 10 to 15 minutes then back playing.

Gaming is the same as everything else in the world, best used in moderation. After a while of gaming, my body usually tells me when I need to get up and do something. 
Don't get me wrong, when a new game comes out that I've been waiting for, I'm prone to binge sesions. This usually is only temporary though, so it doesn't have any unhealthy effects on me. 

Here's something I'm starting to do and most people can do this.
There's this exercise bike that has been sitting around the house and I never felt much urges to use it... until I started "exergaming" the right way.

Took my Gamecube's wireless controller and screwed around in Wind Waker while I exercised. But I wouldn't recommend doing this with fast-paced games that require your full attention.

Burned around 500 calories doing it.

Kurairush said:
Here's something I'm starting to do and most people can do this.
There's this exercise bike that has been sitting around the house and I never felt much urges to use it... until I started "exergaming" the right way.

Took my Gamecube's wireless controller and screwed around in Wind Waker while I exercised. But I wouldn't recommend doing this with fast-paced games that require your full attention.

Burned around 500 calories doing it.
you seem to be implying that I can't bike hard and play fast paced games, I know I can :p

I was playing Zone of the Enders and got a horrible rank on a rescue mission because I was trying to do two things at once. But when I tried again without being on the exercise bike, I got a far better rank (a 'B', because a few civilians still got killed and some buildings got destroyed)

Back