How can the 3D Mario game for Wii U improve upon the Galaxy series?

Gelivable

Fire Emblem Enthusiast
Awards
Credits
Many people say, “If you play Ocarina of Time any game you play after would not feel as good as it.” This somewhat applies to me, except that OoT is replaced by the SMG games. The Galaxy games were great games in every aspect. How do you think the 3D Mario game for the Wii U can improve for the following ways?

1)Setting

SM64 took place in the Mushroom kingdom and generic areas, Sunshine was in a tropical island, and Galaxy was out of the world. Obviously, Galaxy had the most “cinematic” feel. Where could the new Mario game take place in order to feel more “grand” then space? Will we still see generic areas and settings like grasslands, deserts, volcanoes and Ice Mountains like in 64 and 3D Land?

2)Music

SMG was the first Mario game to feature fully orchestrated BGMs, and it really feels amazing, and always gives you a cinematic feel. In SMG2, Space Storm Galaxy’s music even feels like you were in a Sci-fi movie! Could orchestrated music actually fit in the previous games? Not really. Do you think orchestrated music could make a return?

3)Story
SMG is definitely the most story-telling Mario game. Like how there are a storybook featuring Rosalina’s backstory (although not everyone in a fan of it) and the cutscene featuring Lumas saving the universe. Can the new Mario game give us an even better story?

1.) I think the setting is very important for the next installment. In my opinion, as wonderful and epic the Galaxy feel was, it didn't feel as down-to-Earth as the previous two installments (no pun intended....seriously). There was a sense of attachment to the Castle or Isle Delfino that was presented in SM64 and Sunshine. The whole 2 - 3 star per Galaxy/Planet was a little frustrating. It was like SM64 with A.D.D., where instead of creating fairly massive environments that change consistently, it was sort of half the size per galaxy, and only provided a couple of Stars.
Now don't get me wrong, I LOVED Galaxy 1 and 2; the gameplay was fabulous and they both equally presented creative ways of making the 3D Mario series incredible. However, I feel that the following installment for Wii U could use a little return to something more free-roam in a single location (ala SM64, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, etc.). Perhaps a lovely return to Peach's castle? Or maybe getting stuck in Bowser's castle, and having to collect stars in order to escape...? Just throwing out ideas.

2.) As a composer, orchestrated music is absolutely a must. As much as I love midi music from those previous games, I think we can ALL agree that the Bob-omb theme from SM64 on the "Throwback Galaxy" in SM Galaxy 2 sounds much cooler orchestrated. Orchestra, orchestra, orchestra. Necessary!!!

3.) I think SM Wii U could use a story-like element presented in Galaxy 1 and 2. It definitely added to the adventure, creating a little more insight into such a beautifully crafted world. However, Super Mario is the kind of series that doesn't really need much of a story. Unless you're going for Paper Mario or Super Mario RPG, a 3D platformer can be a huge success with a simple "omg im trapped, halp mario," and 40+ hours are spent gathering stars. These games are all about the presentation and the gameplay. A story would be great, and it wouldn't destroy the success by any means, but it isn't really needed
smile.gif

Really excited about the Wii U SM installment...kinda hoping we hear about it at E3.

I'd like it if it was less linear. Super Mario Sunshine's levels felt more...real, while Galaxy's were almost as bad as 64s. With the Wii U, we can have vast worlds in the mushroom kingdom. There's no need to have a point A to point B styled level in a 3D mario game.

It'd be good if the 3D games returned to the style of 64 and Sunshine, in that they didn't have an 'A to B' system and left you to explore the world with nothing but a simple clue. And since Nintendo started, orchestrated music.

New levels, new challenges, Luigi playable after a certain point (but not having to collect all the Stars again for the 100% completion), Fire Mario as seen and used in 3D Land (no time limit crud), Ice Mario as he was in the first Galaxy game, and Yoshi in a few more levels.

To be honest, I don't think that orchestrated music would really fit in a Mario game that's in a setting other than the vastness of outer space. I mean, even in Super Mario Galaxy itself, more confined levels in a small area (rather than an entire planet) usually had MIDI music and remixes of older tunes rather than orchestrated pieces. As much as I love the orchestrated songs, I just don't think they'll fit in a new title unless the setting is somewhere as vast as space.

To be honest, I don't think that orchestrated music would really fit in a Mario game that's in a setting other than the vastness of outer space. I mean, even in Super Mario Galaxy itself, more confined levels in a small area (rather than an entire planet) usually had MIDI music and remixes of older tunes rather than orchestrated pieces. As much as I love the orchestrated songs, I just don't think they'll fit in a new title unless the setting is somewhere as vast as space.
Exactly! Normally a "base" with a buoy shape wouldn't deserve an epic theme like this, but just because it has "galaxy" in its name...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29bt-wjS88

But still, Bowser battles could still be orchestrated, because they're always Bowser battles...right?

Back