How come Paper Mario 3DS is NSMB like?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
And with Bowser as the main villain again?

Are Nintendo trying to appeal to the New Super Mario Bros crowd and make all their Mario games feel the same?

Honestly it reminds me more of the original Paper Mario than anything else. I don't really see many similarities to NSMB other than Bowser being the villian.

I wouldn't mind him as the main villian of an RPG game for a change. He hasn't been since the original Paper Mario

If Bowser's the main villain again, it would be nice if they bring back these guys...

partnerspart1.png

To bring back the ol' Paper Mario adventure. It would be nice to adventure with these guys again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a nice surprise if they brought back at least one of the original partners. I'd like Lady Bow personally. She's been one of my favorite partners through the series.

With Bowser the main villain the game is simply going back to its roots. It's not to be confused with the Mario Bros. series. If it plays in linear levels rather then fully large areas open to explore with flagpoles at the end, then maybe I'll reconsider. But since the only game in the series to do this was Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and only through a basic mini-game, I don't see it happening.

If it was more New Super Mario Bros. like, it would have a score system, time limits, and nobody giving the slightest bit of help to Mario along the way. If Toad's are being used as a bridge, well that's helping, in a way.

At the moment I'd say it's not. But how can we tell with such little info? And who cares if Bowser's the main villain? He was in the original Paper Mario. Maybe we might just see Kammy Koopa again.

I don't mind Bowser being the game's main villain, but I'm not too fond of what's been described as the game's plot so far. Stolen stickers aren't very interesting, especially in comparison to the more developed stories of other Paper Mario games. So, in the plot area, I don't like what seems to be a NSMB-ish simplicity. Otherwise, though, I generally like how the game looks.

If anything, the backgrounds look a tiny bit NSMB-ish

paper-mario.jpg

But apart from that, I can't quite tell what else would really link it to NSMB... unless if the bosses and whatnot were all fairly linear (in a really linear way, too, as in, no side quests, which there are).

Yeah, I definitely don't see the resemblance to NSMB. I like the comparison to old Paper Mario. The thing that worries me is that there haven't been any partners shown... that's part of what made the originals awesome. The no experience irks me a bit too. But hey, those are Paper Mario type things, not NSMB! If anything, it reminds me of Brawl, what with the stickers and all.

I like that Snow Spikes are returning
biggrin.gif

I thought i'd never see them again

I don't really see how the game is anything like NSMB, except for the background.... Anyways, I think the 3D will really make the game seem like what Paper Mario was originally meant to be like - a pop-up book, a diorama of sorts. I just hope the whole sticker-attack thing doesn't turn into a collect-a-thon.

If the stickers are used for attacking and getting through certain puzzles, then there's a high chance that it will be a "collect-a-thon."

My main concern is how easily it will be on missing a sticker that is important for story progression. I mean if they stick to things, you'll have to keep your eyes pealed.

So I got to watch the full trailer again, and I'm not sure if this was the basis of your idea cheat, but I noticed at the end Mario reaches a "goal" type thing... I'll be very upset if this game is broken into "levels" a la Super Paper Mario. I loved that game, but I'd rather not have another one.

[font=georgia,serif]I'd like the stickers to have an outside game album. Then we could send them through streetpass and decorate things like Swapnote![/font]

Back