How do age ratings make sense?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I was just looking at the UK rating board site, and it makes me almost hilarious curious who comes up with this junk and how. For example, where you look at the Wii Virtual Console:

1. Mega Man 1-7 get a 7 and above age rating.
2. Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 get a 3 and above/E rating
3. The Legend of Zelda 1 and 2 get a 3 and above/E rating

But this makes no sense. The former only got the ratings because of supposed 'fantasy violence'. Problem is, how is using a sci fi blaster and sub weapons more of an issue than literally hacking apart your enemies with a sword? None of the games should have got anything above an E, unless we've got some really pedantic and screwed up moral guardians around somewhere.

Really though, in all honestly, I don't think any game of the NES era and earlier, unless actually trying to be 'adult' (although even those failed miserably at trying to look 'edgy'), should probably even get above a minimum age rating of about 3, at least in this day and age.

Some of the 'reasons' for ratings are outright ridiculous, like this one:

Non realistic looking violence towards fantasy characters

I doubt anyone offended by this could watch or play anything in existance. You could probably label every game ever made as this in some way, since all the characters are technically fantasy characters and all the violence is technically unrealistic.

Non realistic looking violence towards characters which although human are not very detailed

Such as every game with human antagonists prior to the generation before last. I find it interesting how they emphasise the 'human' bit... so apparently, if you replace everyone with robots or animals it's all fine then? Oh wait, a famous NES game did that in Germany.

This game allows the player to interact with other players ONLINE

So?

Anyone else think video game ratings should probably be either massively reworked or just scrapped entirely?

Age ratings are a very good idea for one simple reason, and it is the same reason that sometimes PEGI are a little over-zealous with their ratings. It is not them trying to be moral guardians, it is them covering their backs.
Age ratings prevent (or at least reduce) any public backlash about a game from parents on the game publisher and ratings board itself. "Little Timmy played this game and you think it's not suitable for him? You think that's somehow our fault? Well tough, you should've paid heed to the age rating.
Besides, does it really matter if a virtual console game got a 7 when it perhaps should have gotten a 3? It's not as if anyone under 7 is going to play it anyway.

Except not all games allow players to talk online, yet still get the mark on the box despite it apparently having no effect.

This game allows the player to interact with other players ONLINE

So?

You ever played a PC game with voice chat? Luckily the Us really doesn't have this issue...

Xbox Live. I never see it as bad on pc, only thing I see on pc is being blamed as a hacker noob, instead of the rage kiddies on live.

How often do you play Gmod?

Not all that often anymore since i can't access my external drive. And I don't join any servers other than my favorites list.

Back