How long do you think we have until the PS5 is released?

Soulwatcher

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I just got my PS4 in December and I know that it still has a long life ahead. But the question is how long of a life? I know both Sony and Microsoft both said the the PS4 and Xbone generation will not last as long as the last gen. I think its because too many gamer's lost interest in gaming. How long do you think we have until the PS5 is released?

Greg

They will only have problems if they end current gen any sooner than last gen, not everyone buys consoles on day one and not everyone can play all the games there is. I hate to be thrown and shoved onto the next gen unless playstation Now is some kind of fix for that.

Anyways, I say about...... 2018-2020 is when we should hear about PS5.

I agree. Although I think that the main reason why the new generation of playstation and xbox consoles aren't doing as well as last generation is simply because of the lack of backwards compatibility. I don't think many people want to go through the hassle of re-buying all of the games they currently have just to buy the new system right away- no matter how amazing it may be. Next to that, cross-platform gaming isn't supported yet, so that would mean leaving your friends on the previous generation console behind. I don't think we'll be seeing the next generation consoles for a long time, at least not until the xbox one and ps4 come up with something that will really pull the 360 and ps3 users from their consoles. In my opinion, this will be a very difficult feat. The new generation consoles are great indeed, but I just don't think the switch is worth it for now, at least.

Azurix said:
I agree. Although I think that the main reason why the new generation of playstation and xbox consoles aren't doing as well as last generation is simply because of the lack of backwards compatibility. I don't think many people want to go through the hassle of re-buying all of the games they currently have just to buy the new system right away- no matter how amazing it may be. Next to that, cross-platform gaming isn't supported yet, so that would mean leaving your friends on the previous generation console behind. I don't think we'll be seeing the next generation consoles for a long time, at least not until the xbox one and ps4 come up with something that will really pull the 360 and ps3 users from their consoles. In my opinion, this will be a very difficult feat. The new generation consoles are great indeed, but I just don't think the switch is worth it for now, at least.
I can't remember exactly where I read it but Microsoft is ending support for the 360 in 2016. So if you want to play on Xbox your going to have to upgrade. They did the same thing with the original Xbox, they stopped supporting it and forced everyone to upgrade.

Greg

I think you can wait for half a decade before you would see a PS5. However, anything can happen in those 5 years. There's a possibility that the interest in consoles would wane and that making a new console would no longer be feasible. Let's just hope that doesn't happen.

Anyways, I'm not looking forward to the PS5 just yet. I'm  still aiming for a PS4. I don't have the money to get one yet. :(

Drake said:
There's a possibility that the interest in consoles would wane and that making a new console would no longer be feasible. Let's just hope that doesn't happen.
Why hope that doesn't happen? I'd be interested to see what they think up instead.

Okay, yeah, I'd hope that it doesn't go the way of the Sega Dreamcast, fair enough...

As to the topic question...I'd expect at least about 5-6 more years in-between, too.

Personally, I wouldn't be too surprised if this generation only lasted a few years before being replaced again. I think the build up of games in the previous generation will provide the perfect new quick sale of the next generation, as they just need to make it backwards compatible and I am sure they will fly off the shelves. That is a feature that will almost definitely be included due to the backlash of fans complaining about the new generation of console not having that feature.

Of course, they do need to give it a few years to allow people to buy the console as well as to get used to it enough, so that the prospect of a new one will wet their appetites. 

It is hard to say how long we have to wait for the PS5 because it depends on how well the PS4 will continue selling for the next few years after all the most dedicated PS4 fans got it in the first year. If the sales slow down like the Wii U, and Vita where sales are not as high anymore, Sony may release the PS5 a few years earlier to try to convince console gaming new comers, non-gamers, and people who left console gaming for PC and mobile Gaming to buy the PS5 to make up for the slow sales if the PS4 ends up selling slowly like the Wii U, and Vita.

I am pretty sure Sony will release the Playstation 5 in 6-7 years. Sony released the Playstation 3 7 years ago(2006) They also released the Playstation 2 (2000) 6 years before they released the PS3

I think that we still have a few years before another console is released because these ones are really new and they normally take about 5 years before they really release newer consoles. The PS4 and the Xbox one have lots of time and updates that they have to go through before they even begin to start to think about creating a new console anytime soon.

Look at the Xbox 360 I mean although the newer consoles have been released I still think that the Xbox 360 has lots of life in it still and I think that it will be around for a very long time.

It's not even time to wonder yet, they usually take quite a while releasing a new generation since it takes people a while to upgrade anyways. It'll be at least 2018, probably later than that though since 4 years is a bit short based on the Xbox -> Xbox One.

I'm guessing it will be about 6-8 years before they come out with the new one. My reason for this guess is that I feel like a new console getting released any earlier might make the ones who bought PS4 feel short-ended. Also, I doubt they would be able to come out with something that advances the graphics enough to warrant a new console in less than 5 years.

Well, let's say you will have at least 5-46 years before the next console is released. So don't worry about it.

I'm thinking it'll be released around 2020.
As the PS3 was released in 2006, the PS4 was released in 2013, it'll be another 7 years before the PS5 is released.

2020 sounds about reasonable I feel for us to at least start hearing about Playstation 5 if they plan to create another console. I personally feel at the moment Playstation 4 has a long life ahead of it. The gamers are happy enough with the console and nobody that I know of so far has had a single complaint about it as of yet so the longer the Playstation 4 can go the better until at least an upgrade is needed.

I agree 2020 sounds about right, since the PS4 is still considered very new and PS3 sales on consoles and games are strong.

I'd agree that we'll probably start hearing about the PS5 in late 2019 to early 2020 with a release likely being Holiday 2020.

I can't see them wanting to rush into the next hardware cycle. (Especially not since we're into the point of diminishing returns for improved hardware anyway. Graphics aren't getting that much better. Not like the leaps and bounds made from PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3. And they take longer to make now than they did before. So it takes longer to make AAA games.) Instead I think they'll retain the 10 year life cycle. Plus this means they don't have to rush as much to develop new hardware. 

Back