How old are you?

16 years old, 17 in two weeks.

22 homies, graduating college this year as a Finance major with an Econ minor. I remember when I posted here (and by here I mean DSU) as I started college all those years ago talking about how I wanted to do game design.

I wonder what everybody else's schooling is...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 15 and counting.
biggrin.gif
Such fun...

22 homies, graduating college this year as a Finance major with an Econ minor. I remember when I posted here (and by here I mean DSU) as I started college all those years ago talking about how I wanted to do game design.

Hey, would you mind explaining what lead to the shift in majors/interests?

Heh, never posted in here...

Anyway, I'm old enough to feel old, but younger than I feel. (If anyone can figure out where the first half of that sentence came from, you get a cookie). Actual age? Hmm...not one to give out personal information, but I'll say I'm around the median age of people who've posted in this thread.

^It's POSSIBLE that TUK will go ahead and do some number crunching for us. Sometimes he's in the mood for it, sometimes he isn't. In this case I guess it's less crunching and more so data collection and simple analysis, but it's time-consuming regardless.

Hey, would you mind explaining what lead to the shift in majors/interests?
I changed my major at the beginning of my Sophomore year. Before that I was in the school of Informatics hoping to get a degree in Informatics. Informatics is kind of a broad subject, with openings in many career fields, some of them gaming related. My second semester was kind of the perfect storm... it took me down quite a few pegs and I had to refocus what I was doing at college. The first issue was that my counselor told me I would do fine in a Junior level Statistics course as a freshman (she assumed this because my math placement test for college gave me credits for everything but Stats). Unfortunately, Stats and I don't see eye to eye, so I struggled a lot with the course, and eventually got an F. Another problem was a course I took called Social Informatics. This teacher wanted us to give a 20 slide PowerPoint presentation on Informatics, what it meant to us, and then we had to talk about someone in the field of Informatics and why they are were our idol and what they worked on. I didn't know jack about this so my PowerPoint slide ended up being 7 slides long and I got through the class with a C-. Another class I took that semester that I eventually dropped (I can't remember the name of it) was going to have us shadow somebody who worked in the field of Informatics for about 8-weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't know anybody in the field and I didn't know how to make any connections, so I dropped the class immediately. It also didn't help that my counselor changed 3 times throughout the semester due to either counselors taking new positions because of the re-shuffling they were doing with the staff or just plain leaving. By the end of the semester I was on academic probation and I needed a plan to get me out of the hole I had dug. I decided to leave the school of Informatics and try something knew. My strength was math, so I looked into things I could do with that. The business school at my college is usually ranked in the top 10 for public business schools in the US, so I figured I would give it a go, and because my strength is in math I decided to get a degree in Finance. The business school takes a lot better care of incoming students with constant reminders of what they need to be doing and the counselors do a great job of staying in touch. Overall it was a better fit than the school of Informatics so I'm glad I switched. Funny thing is, I'm not the only one that skipped out of Informatics to go Business. It turns out another guy I became friends with my freshman year in one of our Informatics classes had the same idea and I just ran into him last semester and found out he was going to be graduating from the Business school in May as well.

Sorry about the wall of text.

Back