froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
HP is recalling around 101,000 lithium-ion batteries used in the company’s range of laptops. The recall is an expansion from the 41,000 recalled back in June, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission claims affected batteries could overheat “posing fire and burn hazards.” Affected laptops include the HP ProBook, HP ENVY, Compaq Presario, and HP Pavilion notebooks sold between March 2013 and October 2016.

The CPSC recommends that consumers remove the batteries from affected devices and contact HP for a free replacement. Laptops can still be used by plugging them into AC adapters until a replacement battery arrives. HP has set up a battery recall site, and it’s worth double checking your laptop isn’t affected even if it was cleared as part of the previous recall in June.

Read More

I think one of the main benefits of using a desktop computer is that there is no battery which can catch on fire, or explode unless you use a third-party battery backup power supply on a desktop.

I wonder if there are any non-HP laptops which use the same battery model since a lot of laptops gets its battery from the same battery factories.

HP is recalling around 101,000 lithium-ion batteries used in the company’s range of laptops. The recall is an expansion from the 41,000 recalled back in June, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission claims affected batteries could overheat “posing fire and burn hazards.” Affected laptops include the HP ProBook, HP ENVY, Compaq Presario, and HP Pavilion notebooks sold between March 2013 and October 2016.

The CPSC recommends that consumers remove the batteries from affected devices and contact HP for a free replacement. Laptops can still be used by plugging them into AC adapters until a replacement battery arrives. HP has set up a battery recall site, and it’s worth double checking your laptop isn’t affected even if it was cleared as part of the previous recall in June.

Read More

I think one of the main benefits of using a desktop computer is that there is no battery which can catch on fire, or explode unless you use a third-party battery backup power supply on a desktop.

I wonder if there are any non-HP laptops which use the same battery model since a lot of laptops gets its battery from the same battery factories.

Though not a battery, anything in a PC tower can still just as easily blow up like the power supply.

Though not a battery, anything in a PC tower can still just as easily blow up like the power supply.

I haven't heard many stories of desktop PC parts blowing up, but PC explosions may happen because of a large power surge, old age, or poor maintenance where the owner does not blow out dust, and the dust starts a fire, and cause things to overheat and blowout.

I think PC Power supply fires are easier to stop because there is no battery material which like Lithium salt which is harder to stop from burning. Most PC power supplies, and PC cases are made of metal, so they don't burn as easily as laptop batteries and cheaper laptops which use a plastic case.

I seen some battery explosions on the local news where people's clothing caught on fire after the battery exploded.

I bet, if a laptop battery exploded while you were using the laptop on your leg's lap, or close to other body part like your head, you may be seriously injured.

I haven't heard many stories of desktop PC parts blowing up, but PC explosions may happen because of a large power surge, old age, or poor maintenance where the owner does not blow out dust, and the dust starts a fire, and cause things to overheat and blowout.

I think PC Power supply fires are easier to stop because there is no battery material which like Lithium salt which is harder to stop from burning. Most PC power supplies, and PC cases are made of metal, so they don't burn as easily as laptop batteries and cheaper laptops which use a plastic case.

I seen some battery explosions on the local news where people's clothing caught on fire after the battery exploded.

I bet, if a laptop battery exploded while you were using the laptop on your leg's lap, or close to other body part like your head, you may be seriously injured.

Towers are more stable since it has all that extra room, but on the downside it allows for easier dust build up which I've seen some nasty cases.

Towers are more stable since it has all that extra room, but on the downside it allows for easier dust build up which I've seen some nasty cases.

I think laptops can also has a lot of dust build-up problems. But, people usually shutdown laptops more often, so the fans are not always sucking up dust and dirt from the air.

I seen some desktop PC which still work even being covered with dust, but a laptop would most likely overheat and break if it was covered with dust because laptops have less airflow.

Some people use desktop towers as servers for sharing files on their network, so they are almost never shutdown. People who use file sharing services to download video, music, games and big files sometimes leave their desktop powered ON because it can take many hours, or days to download a huge file like a large game.

I think laptops can also has a lot of dust build-up problems. But, people usually shutdown laptops more often, so the fans are not always sucking up dust and dirt from the air.

I seen some desktop PC which still work even being covered with dust, but a laptop would most likely overheat and break if it was covered with dust because laptops have less airflow.

Some people use desktop towers as servers for sharing files on their network, so they are almost never shutdown. People who use file sharing services to download video, music, games and big files sometimes leave their desktop powered ON because it can take many hours, or days to download a huge file like a large game.

laptops can have dust issues, but not to the extent of towers since Towers have more openings and large places for dust to gather.

laptops can have dust issues, but not to the extent of towers since Towers have more openings and large places for dust to gather.

An air filter on a desktop tower vents, or an air filtering system for your room or house would help. But, you need to remember to clean out or replace the filters a few times a year depending how dusty your room is.

I read on a tech website that if you setup your fans correctly with one intake fan, and exhaust fans, there would be less dust because of air pressure pushing the dust out of the case. Putting your desktop computer on a tall desk would also reduce dust in your desktop tower.

Read More

So, did HP inform the owners of such laptops about this? If someone misses the announcement due to not keeping up with the latest news, they will keep using the batteries and be in danger.

So, did HP inform the owners of such laptops about this? If someone misses the announcement due to not keeping up with the latest news, they will keep using the batteries and be in danger.

HP has a program called HP Support Assistant which perform maintenance on HP computer. The program can send messages to the HP maintenance System Utility which send battery recall message to the program, and show pop-up desktop notification to the Windows System Tray.

HP also ask users to register their laptop with HP to get HP news, and announcements regarding their laptop, and other promotional e-mail like deals on HP products.

But, if the buyer of the HP laptop, uninstall HP assistant and never register their laptop with HP, deletes Windows to install Linux, or Windows from another source like a USB Windows install drive, they may be in danger if they never register their laptop with HP with the HP website, and don't keep up with the latest news regarding HP laptop battery recalls.

If the user uses a Microsoft outlook.com e-mail account to login to Windows 8 or 10, HP can ask Microsoft to send a e-mail message to affected Laptop models which are affected by battery safety problems, or Microsoft can send a Windows Update which inform the user that their laptop battery may catch fire or explode.

Stores like Bestbuy, Amazon, and eBay can also send buyers of affected laptops an e-mail or phonecall message if the buyer shared contact information like phone numbers, e-mail, and address with the store, and used a credit or debit card with their contact information stored on their card account.

Last edited:
Well at one of my works in the last few years we had 3 power supply blow up, but that was after losing power and having the power come back on.

I also also lucky not to be killed by a UPS while testing it.

Back