I want to start a gaming channel on youtube...

SupremeGameExpert

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Any suggestions and things I should have? I can't record my face via a camera for the only one I have is on my 3ds so is there any things I could get to record from my computer? Any game suggestions that would be good to start with?

If you've got the cash, get fraps ( or be pirate), though hyper am 2 or handicap may work.. You should Lso have a separate har disk from the one you're gaming on. You don't want to run out of space as you play, some of the files may be very big. Remember to render the videos that are over 10gb, unless you have some super fast Internet. You probably don't want to use over 1 day to upload the stuff..
For rendering, I use Sony Vegas 10, but I've also managed to so the job with a normal video converte.. Just convert it to mp4 or wmv. The quality when using video converters may be bad compared to real rendering, but it may work for a start. If you don't get Sony Vegas, you can get a free program called "Virtualdub'. You probably want to use it after rendering though.. Max file size in the program is 4gb..

If you have a pc compatible of running heavy games, then to buy one of them on release.. You could've bought Far Cry 3 earlier and if your PC is a beast, then you could probably start a serie with it, but games like this often get the most views at their release date and maybe when DLC comes out. Minecraft may be a good starting point, though the amount of people making videos about it is enormous, so don't expect a thousand subscribers the first days...

If you wanna record PS3 or Xbox 360, you could get a hd pvr..

Early versions of CamStudio work, don't use the later ones though. They won't work.

I want to start a gaming channel also, but I have no clue on what to do except play my Xbox. Can someone email me a list on what to do that cost NO money. Email it to dareeves0626@lsr7.net

I think it would help if I say this computer is around 3 years old and as far as I know it is unable to handle playing street fighter x mega man and there's basically nothing special bought for it and the internet's not as fast as most computers might be. I prefer anything free (you can take out a huge chunk of games there) and I have no facecam or microphone (except my ps3 one which I doubt will work) or second hard drive which basically gives me limited options.

Minecraft works, but it's not as fast so I use low settings and there are some mods I play with on it so if you know and good suggestions for mods to add please tell me. (I also don't have a premium account so multiplayer's out of the picture.) and maybe suggest some mods so I can have a great video (hopefully lag won't kill it) and so a lot of people will like it not hate on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you can on the nintendo wii YouTube is now available to download on Nintendo Wii and its free from Wii shopping channel

YouTube is available to use on Nintendo Wiiu and its free from Eshop

yes you can on the nintendo wii YouTube is now available to download on Nintendo Wii and its free from Wii shopping channel

And this is relevant how?

I do Have a Minecraft Channel. I'm not very popular but that doesnt stop me posting every now and then. I use fraps to record and Windows Movie Maker To edit small things and put it to 1080p Then i use handbrake to lower the size of the file. Then post to Youtube :grin:
SkwidGaming ma channel.
you can get fraps free by finding an unofficial download, One someones already bought. And it works. Thats what i did XD
Jay if you want to start a Channel if your doing MC contact me on skype ill show you the ropes. Also you need a mic if your talking while recording. I've got a $60NZ one works good (thats cheap here)
Yea thats about it. I would chose games you enjoy, And maybe arent done that much on youtube

I'm thinking of doing something like a terraria video (after I find someone I could play alongside with) but I still don't have any recording software and I have the mic I need and another thing is I don't know how long I should have each video and what software would be easy to use and not cause lag on me. Does anyone have any idea what I should record? (I got both terraria and monecraft but no premium account with it and usually you see people play together in it so minecraft's out of the picture and for terraria the one guy I play with is afraid i'll trigger hardmode because he drained BOTH ocean biomes)

Anyone willing to play with me?

Setting up a gaming channel can be fun! Unfortunately, it does take some rather expensive equipment to be able to make some professionally made videos. First, you need to make sure you have a stable recording device. If you're recording on the computer, there are a few requirements. First, you need a computer that runs pretty well, obviously. Having a computer that doesn't run real fast can make it difficult to record, and can also result in making the videos laggy/hard to watch. However, if you have a stable computer, most of the time, you will not need to worry about this. If you do get lag when recording, you can try these options:

- Upgrade your graphics card. It could be old and out-of-date.

- Make sure no unneeded programs are running. The only things you really need open are your recording software and the game itself.

- Ask for help. Some others probably have other interesting ways of speeding up your computer a bit.

After you have that sorted out, you also need a good recording software and video editor. Most video editors come with recording software, so that shouldn't be a huge problem. However, if it doesn't, I recommend the full version of Fraps. You can just search that up on Google and the download stuff should pop up somewhere near the top.

Once you have all the equipment set up, I'd focus on structuring your channel. Make a schedule so your subscribers know when to expect a video from you. Also, think of what types of games you want to aim your channel towards: Sandbox, indie, FPS, RPG, etc.

Here's one more tip: When you record, try to make your commentary interesting. You don't need to make a script or anything, obviously, but just try to avoid stuttering or saying "um" or "uh" a lot.

That's really all I have, so all I can say to end this post off is to have fun, and good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna be realistic and say don't bother. It sounds like you have a pretty crummy PC and slow interent so recording and uploading things is basically out of the picture. Also, nobody is going to watch an LP of Terraria, it's too popular and tons of other people are doing it (same with Minecraft).

If you want to make a gaming channel, you need to:

A) Get a new computer

B) Get faster internet

C) Play a lesser known game

D) Be willing to plunk some cash down for FRAPs

Back