If Microsoft abandons the console world...

I agree that graphics on Nintendo platforms newer than Gamecube are always worse than their competitors, but it's really not what makes them a success.
They promoted amazing graphics on the Wii U, and failed.
Not saying Wii U graphics were better than PS4 or Xbox One, I mean rather the way Iwata-sama promoted it.

Nintendo is more a platform for games with a much less realistic approach, it's really more for games that are easy to understand and have a joyful atmosphere, so graphics that surpass reality is really not what they need to make.
In fact, when I play a game I want to feel like I'm playing a game, not like if I'm in the middle of a different reality, this is another reason why PlayStation and Xbox just never suit me.

But by being lowered powered by a huge amount, they effectively alienate 3rd party publishers. Hence fewer games come to Nintendo Consoles. I hope this changes and the Switch gets tons of 3rd party support.

I know from experience as a 3rd party that communication used to be really good when publishing for 3DS and Wii U, and so it is with the Switch, though since Nintendo opened up the 3DS and Wii U dev stuff to everyone their communication when publishing to these 2 platforms has become terrible.

The real problems were:
・Tools Nintendo provided to develop for 3DS and Wii U were too hard to use if you're not a AAA company.
・Indie friendly tools for 3DS like Unity came far too late, and had too many limitations to bother with.
・Wii U did have Unity and even a web framework from the start, but since the said console never sold well, it ended up becoming more of a hobbyist developer platform.
・Not to mention that both platforms' Unity editor versions were really far behind on the public editors.

The Switch seemed to have learnt its lesson, since the native tools are decently user friendly, Unity too is decently up to date with all the other platforms, and sales go really well too.
The eShop is already filled with lots of 3rd party games from all over the world, with even companies joining the platform that have never released anything for any Nintendo platform at all.
The problem now is that by far most Switch games are mere ports from other platforms.

I know from experience as a 3rd party that communication used to be really good when publishing for 3DS and Wii U, and so it is with the Switch, though since Nintendo opened up the 3DS and Wii U dev stuff to everyone their communication when publishing to these 2 platforms has become terrible.

The real problems were:
・Tools Nintendo provided to develop for 3DS and Wii U were too hard to use if you're not a AAA company.
・Indie friendly tools for 3DS like Unity came far too late, and had too many limitations to bother with.
・Wii U did have Unity and even a web framework from the start, but since the said console never sold well, it ended up becoming more of a hobbyist developer platform.
・Not to mention that both platforms' Unity editor versions were really far behind on the public editors.

The Switch seemed to have learnt its lesson, since the native tools are decently user friendly, Unity too is decently up to date with all the other platforms, and sales go really well too.
The eShop is already filled with lots of 3rd party games from all over the world, with even companies joining the platform that have never released anything for any Nintendo platform at all.
The problem now is that by far most Switch games are mere ports from other platforms.

That is great for the Switch, as I was unaware of this. But what I meant was devs/publishers of AAA games don't want to downgrade their games for the lowered powered hardware as opposed to the other consoles. Even if they did, the cost of porting to a different engine will be huge. The end result is again fewer games on Nintendo hardware. That should be corrected.

Yes, I hear you and you're correct.
The main problem with most AAA companies is that they usually want to use the maximum of each platform.
Personally I think it's the same as trying to kill a fly with a bazooka, on the other hand AAA companies usually tend to use already existing tech as much as possible to speed up development time, while most of such things are already heavily bloated.

It's sad considering how sometimes even 'limitless' can be too little, all while the same companies had to do it with 32 kB of RAM multiple decades ago.

I don't think that Microsoft will abandon the console industry, it will try to evolve or create innovations for a better console. But if this case happen, we always have our reliable friend PC/Laptop to assure our playing needs.

It’s 2018 now and there aren’t any rumors that you can find that says Microsoft will quit on Xbox. It’s because they are very famous and their Xbox franchise is very profitable. They are one of the current gen consoles now that can rival PlayStation.

Back