If you had to choose between anime and western cartoons

Anime, since you know anime isn't driven by a foolish thing like toy sales.

anime ofcourse, should this even be a question? I mean the story, the characters, the animation itself is by far much more superior than western cartoons. If you asked me to name a few anime which made a big impact on me and are with me since years i would be able to name a few very quickly while i cant say the same for western cartoons.

This choice is harder than I expected... In general I strongly prefer anime, since it's aimed at older audiences, has nicer and higher quality animation, better characters, more developed stories... But, even though the majority of the western animation is aimed at children or is just plain smut, there are definitively some gems out there. I would hate to miss out on shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Bob's Burgers...

Anime for me. I'm quite a fan of some western cartoons but I say anime in general interests me the most. The reason would be the art style. Look at ufotable, kyoani and some other studios that worth their budget with the result they made! Also the stories, there are some western cartoons I don't quite like the story reason being, it kinda bores me. That's just my personal preferences and opinion though! I still think that both anime and western cartoons are great own their own!

I think I would go with Western cartoons. No offense, as much as I love anime, I'd rather watch something that I can play in the background, because that's how I usually watch my shows for some reason. I run it on the background while I play games, read online, etc; and the thing with anime is the subtitles you need to read keep you focused on nothing else, other than the show. So I'd rather enjoy western stuff that I can understand without seeing them, because that's usually how I watch my shows. I would miss it, yes, but I think I would be able to appreciate my time more because I would have a lot more free time after that.

Anime. Easy choice for me as I grew up getting impressed by Japanese shows, instead of Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry or Disney (watched those too, but they didn't quite do it for me as Japanese animation did). Though Saber Rider was THE most epic mix of West and East: Western voice acting and rock music, combined with Japanese animation and storytelling - it was epic. And there was also GRANZOOOORT! Another anime with epic music. :grin:

I think that I would definitely pick anime, I only have memories of watching western cartoons when I was little, but they are not that good or fun anymore, on the other hand, I think that anyone can be enjoyed by a lot more people, it literally has everything for everyone, I would definitely never get bored of them, even if I still kind of love Sponge Bob, lol.

Wow, this is a tough one.. I feel like I grew up watching anime like One Piece, Dragonball Z, etc. But lately I've been watching western cartoons only, a la Rick and Morty or Bojack Horseman.. I honestly can't decide. I guess I'd pick anime just out of nostalgia. There's so many great anime already while the western animation industry is still only beginning to grow.

I do occasionally like watching western cartoons, but most are aimed at children and so I have to go with anime. While I was younger I did watch mostly western cartoons, but that was mostly because I didn't know about anime. Now that I've watched quite a bit of anime, the storylines and animations are just way better than western cartoons in my opinion.

I do not see the difference between the two. I think Looney Tunes are fun to watch. I would probably watch Cowboy Bebop overly Loony Tunes.

I don't watch much anime or western series, but I choose neither. Those binary choices where one should pick between two means of creative entertainment can be quite regrettable, even more if the discrimination criteria is something shallow like picking whether a producer is asian or european/american. You don't know if there is an animation masterpiece that would be released in a near future, and if you chose wrong you'll be deprived from enjoying it. Good thing We don't live in some kind of dictatorship which only allows to enjoy a specific media and ban the rest.

I'd definitely choose anime. I was into western cartoons when I was a child, but that's because there were plenty of them in the TV, what I can't say about anime. But as I grew up I made the transition and started watching it online. I think that the western ones are aimed towards kids (not only, but mainly!), whereas the Japanese ones are for everyone.

I grew up with both and love many of each, but while I've largely stopped watching Western cartoons I still watch at least one anime per season. I find that when I do want to watch Western Cartoons, it's more of the ones I've watched before (nostalgia) and not exactly wanting to see what's out there. Anime just seems to surprise me at times with the things they bring out. I also play a lot more games with anime adaptations, so that's also influenced my watching habits as well.

Admittedly I really haven't given Western Cartoons as of late a chance (and there are some really good ones out there from what I hear), but seeing some of what I do love deteriorate over time (or end inconclusively) makes me not want to venture back... (Not that that isn't a problem in long running anime as well, but I guess I've been more disappointed by Western cartoons. Might also be that I haven't been choosing the wrong anime or that I keep choosing the wrong Western Cartoons in itself.)

I grew up with both and love many of each, but while I've largely stopped watching Western cartoons I still watch at least one anime per season. I find that when I do want to watch Western Cartoons, it's more of the ones I've watched before (nostalgia) and not exactly wanting to see what's out there. Anime just seems to surprise me at times with the things they bring out. I also play a lot more games with anime adaptations, so that's also influenced my watching habits as well.

Admittedly I really haven't given Western Cartoons as of late a chance (and there are some really good ones out there from what I hear), but seeing some of what I do love deteriorate over time (or end inconclusively) makes me not want to venture back... (Not that that isn't a problem in long running anime as well, but I guess I've been more disappointed by Western cartoons. Might also be that I haven't been choosing the wrong anime or that I keep choosing the wrong Western Cartoons in itself.)

If you want something western and for a bit older audience, I've heard only good things about Rick and Morty. It's became very popular, there are two seasons and third is on the way already! It was going to be parody of Back to the future at first, but it became a TV series. :grin: It's a Sci-Fi comedy-drama and the episodes are 22 minutes long, so just like anime.

I love watching both, but if I had to make a choice...

I'd definetly choose anime. Don't get me wrong I love western cartoons but the sheer variety of anime out there is mind bending. There is some great writing in about every genre out there, when picking something to watch I could choose some great comedies, sci-fi, action, mysteries, dramas and mixtures of those. Sadly i'm pretty sure that western cartoons can't give me that much of the good stuff.

I like both. It is a hard decision if I have to pick only one.

I like anime since Saint Seiya, DBZ, and Ranma 1/2.
And I watched Transformers when I was little. Nowadays I still watch Marval cartoon series on super heroes like Avengers, X-men, etc.

I'd probably choose anime not because it is better. Because without cartoon series, I can still watch the live action movies of western cartoon series. Anime does not have such luxury.

Back